|Colby College||University of Southern Maine|
WATERVILLE, Maine — Colby College’s Georgia Cassidy scored two more goals while teammates Eleanor Fitzgerald and Lauren Walter both had their first scores of the season in a 4-0 non-conference field hockey win over University of Southern Maine on Wednesday night on Bill Alfond Field.
The Mules improved to 6-3 overall, while USM fell to 4-8.
* The Huskies played tough and only trailed 1-0 at intermission. USM had a goal by Kerigan Demers waved off with 17:50 remaining on an elevated hit in the path of a defender.
* Walter scored her first collegiate goal and the game-winning score with 2:57 to play in the half. Cassidy’s cross was tipped by Walter and USM goalie McKenzie Cormier made the save. Walter stayed with the play and was able to get her rebound in the cage.
* Cassidy scored off a rebound just 1:51 into the second half to give the Mules a multiple goal margin. Merel van Gijzen had a blast that Cormier saved, but Cassidy banged in a rebound among two USM defenders.
* Cassidy made it 3-0 with her 10th goal of the season at 56:58 of the contest. The play started off a penalty corner and featured some nice passing by the Mules. Colby’s van Gijzen pushed a pass to the right to Delaney Keithley, who immediately passed low to Myri Skodock. Cassidy knocked in Skodock’s centering pass.
* Fitzgerald scored just 23 seconds after Cassidy’s second goal. Kate Burkett had the assist on a long pass to Fitzgerald in front of the cage.
By the numbers
* The Mules equaled last year’s win total with six regular season games remaining.
* Colby had a 25-1 advantage in shots and a 16-2 margin in penalty corners.
* Riley Whitmyer had her fourth shutout of the season with one save for Colby. Cormier kept her team in the game with nine saves.
Next on the schedule
* Colby heads to Wesleyan University on Saturday for an 11 a.m. NESCAC contest.
* The Huskies play at the same time at Western Connecticut State.