|Saint Joseph's College||Bates College|
LEWISTON, Maine – Saint Joseph’s College (6-5) tipped Bates College (7-5), 75-72, in non-conference men’s basketball action on Tuesday night.
Junior guard Darian Berry (Rochester, N.H.) scored a career-high 28 points while shooting 10-13 from the field to help the Monks defeat the Bobcats on their home court for just the fourth time in the history of the series between the in-state rivals.
THE REST OF THE STORY:
In a contest featuring six lead changes and 13 ties and in which neither team attained a double-digit lead, the Monks managed to secure the advantage for good with a 6-2 surge midway through the overtime period.
Trailing 68-67 with 3:03 left in extra play, Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine), Berry, and Aaron Hall (Haverhill, Mass.) made shots to offset a pair of Jeff Spellman (Boston, Mass.) free throws to lift the Monks to a 73-70 edge with 31 seconds left. Bates sophomore Tom Coyne (Falmouth, Maine) tapped in a layup eight seconds later, but Mileikis and Berry both went 1-2 from the stripe in the closing seconds to clinch the victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
The Bobcats netted 23 points off 18 SJC turnovers, but the Monks outscored the hosts by a 38-28 margin in the paint and held Bates to a 2-8 shooting effort from the field during the five-minute overtime period.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH’S:
· Berry added six rebounds and was 5-6 from the FT line
· Mileikis chipped in with 11 points, six boards, and five assists
· Hall tallied 10 points, eight caroms, and a pair of assists
· Junior forward Jae Johns (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) came off the bench to contribute seven points and nine rebounds in 14 minutes
LEADERS – BATES:
· Spellman netted 28 points with three assists
· Sophomore guard Kody Greenhalgh (Warwick, R.I.) came off the bench to score 12 points with four steals and three boards
· Junior center Nick Lynch (Westford, Mass.) added seven points and nine rebounds
With the victory, Saint Joseph’s improves to 8-14 in the history of the series with Bates College and snaps a three-game losing streak at the hands of the Bobcats. The Monks also picked up their first win at the Bobcats’ home gym since the 2013-14 season and the fourth in 13 games at Alumni Gymnasium overall.
Saint Joseph’s resumes Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play Saturday with a 3:00 PM contest at Norwich University.