|Saint Joseph's College||Albertus Magnus|
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Saint Joseph’s College (22-1, 14-0 GNAC) cruised past Albertus Magnus College (15-7, 9-5 GNAC), 74-39, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) women’s basketball contest on Saturday afternoon. With the victory, the Monks extend their program-record winning streak to 21 games.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Monks took control from the get-go and held a commanding 16-3 lead after junior guard Julia Champagne (Brunswick, Maine) made a layup off an Emily Benway (Rochester, N.H.) pass with 4:07 left in the first quarter. Saint Joseph’s boasted a 24-9 advantage after 10 minutes and carried a 46-18 cushion into intermission.
The Monks claimed a game-high 41-point (74-33) lead after senior guard Emily DeLuca (Gorham, Maine) drained a three-pointer with 5:15 remaining in the fourth quarter.
STATS OF THE GAME:
The Monks netted 23 points off 22 Falcon turnovers (while committing just 10 turnovers) and shot 50% (11-22) from three-point distance in the lopsided victory. St. Joe’s also held Albertus Magnus senior forward Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) – who entered today’s contest as the GNAC’s leading scorer averaging 21.9 points per game – to a season-low six points on 3-9 shooting from the field.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH’S:
– Junior guard Kelsi McNamara (West Newbury, Mass.) led four SJC players in double digits with 18 points and added four rebounds, four assists, and a pair of steals
– Champagne scored 15 points with seven rebounds, including six on the offensive glass
– Benway registered her fourth double-double of the year with 13 points and 13 boards
– Senior forward Regan McFerran (Albany, N.Y.) added 10 points and four rebounds
LEADERS – ALBERTUS MAGNUS:
– Junior guard Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) led the hosts with 13 points and pulled down four rebounds
– Bolden grabbed nine caroms before fouling out with 5:44 remaining
– Senior guard Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) added eight points
With the victory, Saint Joseph’s remains undefeated (14-0) in the history of the matchup with Albertus Magnus College.
Saint Joseph’s will host Lasell College in a GNAC contest Tuesday at 5:30 PM.