|Rivier University||Saint Joseph's College|
STANDISH, Maine – Rivier University (2-20, 1-14 GNAC) snapped a 19-game losing streak with a 60-57 victory over Saint Joseph’s College (11-11, 8-7 GNAC) in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men’s basketball action at the Harold Alfond Center on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Rivier opened the game on an 11-2 run, with eight points from freshman guard Tristian Givens (Windsor, Conn.), but Saint Joseph’s posted a 12-2 scoring burst late in the half and held a 30-29 edge heading into intermission.
The Raiders led by as many as 12 points in the second stanza, but the Monks rallied with a 14-2 outbreak, capped by a pair of John Crawley (Fitchburg, Mass.) freebies, to tie the game at 50-apiece with 6:12 remaining.
The hosts claimed their first lead of the half when junior forward Quinn Richardson-Newton (Saco, Maine) made it a 56-55 score off a layup with 33 seconds left. But Rivier freshman guard Joshua L’Heureux (Dracut, Mass.) nailed a three-pointer at the 12-second mark and senior forward David Lorden (Pepperell, Mass.) sank two free throws with three seconds on the clock to clinch the Raiders’ first victory since November 18th.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH’S:
· Richardson-Newton led the Monks with 11 points
· Sophomore forward Jae Johns (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) scored 10 points with four rebounds
· Sophomore guard Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) added 10 points
· Freshman guard Mario Nery (Bronx, N.Y.) tallied five points, seven rebounds, five assists, and four steals
LEADERS – RIVIER:
· Givens netted a game-high 28 points with seven rebounds and five assists
· Lorden added 10 points and nine boards with two steals and a pair of blocked shots
· Freshman guard Keith Poitier (East Hartford, Conn.) chipped in with six points, four rebounds, and six assists