|Rivier University||Saint Joseph's College|
PORTLAND, Maine – Saint Joseph’s College (5-2, 2-0 GNAC) slipped past Rivier University (1-8, 0-3 GNAC), 11-7, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) women’s lacrosse contest at Deering Memorial Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The conference rivals swapped goals with Rivier in the lead, 6-5, after Sally Kennedy scored her third of the day 4:04 into the second stanza, but Saint Joseph’s responded with six unanswered strikes – including two apiece from freshman Madison Beaulieu (West Gardiner, Maine) and sophomore Samantha Medlin (Kingston, Mass.) – en route to securing the four-goal triumph.
Saint Joseph’s freshman Kaylin Mansir (West Gardiner, Maine) recorded seven saves in the victory while Rivier netminder Courtney Laperriere (Keene, N.H.) turned away nine shots in a losing effort.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH’S:
- Medlin paced the Monks with four goals on six shots
- Junior Elyse Caiazzo (Scarborough, Maine/Cheverus) tallied three goals, three ground balls, four draw controls, and a pair of caused turnovers
- Senior Jackie Wilson (Tiverton, R.I.) added two goals and an assist with eight ground balls, three draw controls, and two caused turnovers
- Beaulieu scored twice with two ground balls
- Sophomore Megan Baker (Gorham, Maine) notched four caused turnovers with a pair of ground balls
- Junior Brianne Maloney (South Portland, Maine) chipped in with two ground balls and two caused turnovers
LEADERS – RIVIER:
- Kennedy scored four goals on eight shots with a pair of ground balls
- Junior Emily Knoops (Tewksbury, Mass.) notched six ground balls with four caused turnovers
- Freshman Alyssa Ciszek (Tyngsboro, Mass.) added four ground balls and three caused turnovers