|Rivier University||Saint Joseph's College|
STANDISH, Maine – Sophomore guard Kelsi McNamara (West Newbury, Mass.) scored 29 points to help lift Saint Joseph’s College (12-2, 6-0 GNAC) past Rivier University (3-9, 1-4 GNAC), 71-54, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) women’s basketball contest at the Harold Alfond Center on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Saint Joseph’s held the lead for all but the opening possession in the conference matchup and carried a 35-22 advantage into halftime, thanks in large part to 19 first-half points from McNamara.
Trailing 41-22 with 6:50 left in the third quarter, the Raiders managed to fight back into contention with a 17-8 run and faced a 10-point deficit (49-39) heading into the final frame. But the Monks managed to put the game away by kicking off the fourth quarter with a 14-4 outburst of their own. McNamara hit three-pointers on consecutive trips down the court to ignite the outbreak, which resulted in the hosts holding a game-high 20-point cushion (63-43) with 5:33 remaining.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH’S:
· McNamara was 10-15 from the field, including a 5-7 effort from downtown, with four rebounds, three assists, four steals, and no turnovers in 27 minutes
· Sophomore forward Emily Benway (Rochester, N.H.) notched her fourth double-double of the season with 14 points and 13 rebounds
· Sophomore guard Julia Champagne (Brunswick, Maine) added seven points, four rebounds, and two assists
· Sophomore guard Hannah Marks (Waldoboro, Maine) came off the bench to tally seven points and five caroms
LEADERS – RIVIER:
· Senior forward Rebecca DeBaldo (Pelham, N.H.) led the Raiders with 15 points while shooting 7-10 from the floor and pulling down six rebounds
· Sophomore forward Linsey Roth (Tyngsboro, Mass.) added nine points
· Sophomore guard Kaylee Kacavas (Dracut, Mass.) chipped in with eight points and six boards
· Senior guard Caitlyn Perry (Nashua, N.H.) tallied six points, six caroms, and three assists
· Sophomore forward Megan Hamel (Colebrook, N.H.) came off the bench to add seven points and five rebounds