|Rivier||Saint Joseph's College|
STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph’s College (4-3, 1-1 GNAC) defeated Rivier University (0-9, 0-2 GNAC), 87-74, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men’s basketball contest at the Harold Alfond Center on Saturday.
Junior guard Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) scored 21 points with six boards, five steals, and five assists and freshman guard Jack Casale (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) added 19 points, six boards, and four assists to help the Monks pick up their first conference victory of the season.
THE REST OF THE STORY:
With the teams trading shots early in the first half, Saint Joseph’s broke a 23-23 tie with a 14-6 run, which was capped by a Darian Berry (Rochester, N.H.) three-pointer with 2:43 left in the first half. The Raiders countered with a 9-2 surge to cut their deficit to one point (39-38), but Berry stopped the run with a layup with 22 seconds on the first half clock, providing the hosts with a 41-38 lead heading into intermission.
Leading 55-47 with 14:11 remaining, the Monks registered an 18-8 run with senior forward Aaron Hall (Haverhill, Mass.) making it a 73-55 game after making a layup with 9:45 on the clock.
Saint Joseph’s held a game-high 20-point (79-59) lead after Casale connected on one of two freebies at the 6:43 mark and Rivier made one last run, a 16-6 surge, to make it an 85-74 score four minutes later. The Raiders would not score another point, however, and junior forward Andrew Carroll (Douglas, Mass.) made a pair of free throws with 1:29 left to account for the 87-74 final.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH’S:
· Berry added 13 points with five rebounds and two assists
· Hall tallied 13 points, six boards, and a pair of blocked shots
· Senior forward Quinn Richardson-Newton (Saco, Maine) contributed 10 points, six caroms, and two assists
· Freshman guard Tatsuaki Sakai (Japan) came off the bench to distribute five assists
LEADERS – RIVIER:
· Junior guard Angel Perez (Miami, Fla.) netted 20 points with a pair of steals
· Freshman guard Tarik Rivers (Stamford, Conn.) tallied 20 points with five assists and three boards
· Sophomore guard Kirk Palladino (Milford, N.H.) chipped in with 12 points and four rebounds
Saint Joseph’s posted advantages in rebounds (40-23), assists (23-10), points off turnovers (10-9), second-chance points (14-7), points in the paint (30-28), and bench points (27-20) in the victory.
With the win, Saint Joseph’s improves to 18-4 in the history of the series with Rivier University.
Saint Joseph’s will play a pair of games in the Mauro Panaggio Tournament in Daytona, Florida starting with a contest versus Wooster on Sunday at 12:00 PM.