|Rhode Island College||Saint Joseph's College|
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Trailing 5-1 going into the bottom of the third, the Monks went on to score 10 unanswered runs with three in the third, two in the fourth, one in the fifth, and four in the sixth, to account for the 11-5 triumph.
Facing a 5-4 deficit with two out in the bottom of the fourth, McCoomb plated sophomore Jared Gagne (Dover, N.H.) with a single to left, stole second, and scored when Black roped a base hit up the middle, giving the Monks their first lead in the nightcap. With junior reliever Josh Partridge (Deerfield, N.H.) dealing on the mound, RIC was held in check for the remainder of the game.
ON THE MOUND:
Senior Cejay Suarez (Abington, Mass.) earned his first NCAA start but did not factor into the decision after allowing five runs (four earned) off seven hits and three walks with two K’s in 2.2 innings. Junior Marc Poirier (Lunenburg, Mass.) yielded a hit and a walk with a strikeout in 2/3 inning of relief and Partridge was credited with the victory after allowing just one hit with three punch-outs in 3.2 frames of outstanding relief.
For RIC, junior starter Myles Levy (Cranston, R.I.) took the loss after giving up six runs off 10 hits with one strikeout in four innings.
OFF THE BAT – SAINT JOSEPH’S:
· Black went 3-4 with two runs, a stolen base, and two RBI
· McCoomb was 3-4 with three runs, a double, two steals, and an RBI
· Gerossie added two hits, a run, and two RBI in two at-bats
· Sophomore first baseman Noah McDaniel (Eliot, Maine) went 2-4 with a run, and two RBI
· Senior right fielder Dennis Meehan (Gardiner, Maine) was 2-3 with a double and a pair of RBI
OFF THE BAT – RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE:
· Junior first baseman Frank Pettinato (Cranston, R.I.) was 3-4 with a run scored and three RBI
· Freshman Josh Silva (Seekonk, Mass.) went 2-4 with a run and a double