|Norwich University||Saint Joseph's College|
STANDISH, Maine – #20/22 Saint Joseph’s College (28-6, 11-1 GNAC) swept Norwich University (12-21, 6-6 GNAC) in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) baseball doubleheader at Larry Mahaney Diamond on Friday afternoon. The Monks opened with a 16-0 triumph and blanked the Cadets by a 13-0 score in the nightcap.
GAME ONE – SAINT JOSEPH’S 16, NORWICH 0
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Finishing a game that was originally started, and suspended after one inning due to rain, on April 12th, Saint Joseph’s jumped out to a 3-0 lead off five hits in the bottom of the second, as senior shortstop Max McCoomb (South Berwick, Maine) tripled home a pair and scored on a Joey Murphy (Derry, N.H.) single.
The Monks opened up the game in the third, when the hosts plated nine runs off five hits and two errors to assume a 12-0 cushion. McCoomb drove in two, junior center fielder Chris Gerossie (Chester, N.H.) belted a three-run double, and senior designated hitter Jameson Collins (Sandown, N.H.) launched a three-run homer to help propel the Royal Blue to the insurmountable advantage.
ON THE MOUND:
Senior Cejay Suarez (Abington, Mass.) earned the start back on April 12th and tossed a scoreless inning with a walk. Junior Travis Godbout (Portland, Maine) took the hill today and was dominant, allowing four hits with six strikeouts in six innings to improve to 4-1 on the season.
Norwich senior Billy Whaley (Northfield, Vt.), who started the game on April 12th, returned to the mound today and allowed 12 runs off 11 hits and four walks with five punch-outs in three innings. Freshman reliever Nick Landis (South Berwick, Maine) yielded four runs (two earned) off five hits with a strikeout in three frames.
OFF THE BAT – SAINT JOSEPH’S:
· McCoomb was 4-4 with two runs, a triple, and four RBI
· Senior third baseman Taylor Black (Cardiff by the Sea, Calif.) went 4-4 with three runs, a home run, a stolen base, and three RBI
· Collins was 2-5 with two runs, his seventh homer of the year, and three RBI
· Gerossie went 1-3 with two runs, a double, and three RBI
· Murphy added two runs off two hits with two walks and an RBI
OFF THE BAT – NORWICH:
· Sophomore left fielder Kevin Lynch (Randolph, Mass.) went 2-3 with a stolen base