May 24, 2019
School Sports Latest News | Domestic Violence | Bangor Metro | Eric Brakey | Today's Paper

Maine Women's College Hockey 3 at Union 3

Game Time:
Add Score, Photos, or Highlights
UMaine Union
3 3

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – The Black Bears and Dutchwomen took turns holding the lead throughout the match on Black Friday, battling to an end result of a 3-3 tie. Tereza Vanisova potted a pair of goals, including a last minute goal to tie up the match taking Union into overtime.

The Black Bears (9-6-2, 4-3-1 WHEA) opened up the match with a strong attack finding the net in the first three minutes of play to grab an early 1-0 lead. After a clear by the Dutchwomen (3-8-2, 2-2-0 ECAC), Mikayla Rogers quickly sent the puck out of Maine’s defensive end to Lydia Murray who found Vendula Pribylova’s stick open in front of the crease. Pribylova potted her fifth goal of the season while Rogers recorded her first assist of the year.

With 11:23 on the clock, Vanisova took off on a breakaway from center ice, deking out two defenders as she made a beeline towards net. With a swift movement of her stick, she snuck the puck directly through the final defender’s legs, screening her shot from Union goaltender Coco Francis as it sailed by her hitting the back of the net. Maine doubled their lead, 2-0, as Maddie Giordano earned her first NCAA point off the lone assist.

A mere 26 seconds after Vanisova’s goal, Dutchwoman Jordi Naidrich cut their deficit in half, 2-1, stealing the puck and squeezing a wrist shot just inside the near post off of Jackson’s glove. With this goal, Naidrich achieved her first point of the season, unassisted.

Union tied up the match, 2-2, with 5:01 left in the second frame on their second power play of the day. Arianna Kosakowski nailed a shot off of teammate Katie Laughlin’s stick, who casually followed up on the bouncing puck sweeping it into the side of the net. Maine goaltender Carly Jackson was caught off guard, prepared for the first shot and searching for the deflection as her view was blocked by two players. Grabbing the secondary assist was Caitlyn McLaren.

Helen Marcovic reclaimed the puck for Union at the point, dumping it back to teammate Haley Shugart who skated the puck closer to net. Shugart roofed the puck into the net, faking out Jackson as she stepped up to protect the other side of the net, putting the Dutchwomen in the lead, 3-2, for the first time that day with 9:06 left to play.

One second after pulling Jackson from net, the Black Bears took full advantage of their extra man, crashing the net as Vanisova tipped in a slap shot by Ebba Strandberg, for her second goal of the game. She tied up the match 3-3 with only 1:05 remaining in regulation time, taking the Dutchwomen into overtime. Pribylova helped start out the play as she grabbed an assist.

Despite opening up overtime on a power play, the Dutchwomen struggled to get past the Black Bears. With less than two minutes to go, Shugart saw a hard shot bounce off the crossbar into the crease, but Jackson dove into action pushing it away. Kosakowski found the rebound and looked towards the open net with Jackson still sprawled on the ice after the save; she blasted one towards goal just as Catherine Tufts skated in with an impressive defensive save keeping the Black Bears alive. The final seconds ticked by as the score remained tied, 3-3, to close out overtime.

Throughout the match, Jackson turned down 28 shots, while Maine put the pressure on Union’s goalie as Francis registered 33 saves.

The Black Bears look to come out on top tomorrow, as they return to the Messa Rink to face-off against Union again. Puck will drop at 3 p.m.

You may also like