STANDISH, Maine – Senior forward Aaron Hall (Haverhill, Mass.) netted a career-high 27 points and pulled down 12 rebounds to help propel Saint Joseph’s College (7-6, 2-2 GNAC) past Johnson & Wales University (6-6, 3-1 GNAC), 69-62, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men’s basketball contest at the Harold Alfond Center on Tuesday night.
THE REST OF THE STORY:
The Monks held a comfortable 37-26 lead heading into intermission, but the Wildcats posted a 15-8 run midway through the second half to cut their deficit down to 57-55 with 5:30 remaining. Senior Jarell Lawson (Providence, R.I.) capped the scoring run with a layup to make it a two-point game.
St. Joe’s responded with a 7-2 run, including five points from Hall, to secure a 64-57 cushion with 3:54 left and the SJC defense held the JWU offense to a 2-8 shooting performance from the field for the remainder of the contest to secure the victory.
Saint Joseph’s held a 20-2 advantage in bench points on the evening.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH’S:
· Hall was 13-16 from the floor and added a pair of blocked shots
· Junior guard Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) tallied 11 points, eight assists, and five rebounds
· Junior forward Jae Johns (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) came of the bench to score 11 points with four boards in 14 minutes
· Freshman Jack Casale (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) scored nine points with four caroms and a pair of rejections
· Junior guard Darian Berry (Rochester, N.H.) added nine points, three rebounds, and three assists
LEADERS – JOHNSON & WALES:
· Junior forward Randall Ferdinand (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) posted a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds
· Junior guard Brian Hogan-Gary (Staten Island, N.Y.) added 16 points, five assists, and four boards
· Lawson tallied 10 points, five caroms, and a pair of assists
With the win, Saint Joseph’s improves to 10-13 in the history of the series with Johnson & Wales University and snaps an eight-game losing streak at the hands of the Wildcats. Prior to tonight, the Monks had not defeated JWU since December 3rd, 2013 (82-63) in a game played at the Alfond Center.
Saint Joseph’s returns to action Saturday with a GNAC contest at Rivier University. Tip-off is slated for 3:00 PM.