|Hamilton College||Colby College|
WATERVILLE, Maine — In a battle of nationally-ranked teams, No. 13 Hamilton College scored two goals in the third period to pull away for a 3-0 win over 14th-ranked Colby College in NESCAC men’s hockey Friday night.
The Continentals improve to 8-2-1 overall and 3-2-1 in the league heading into Saturday’s 4 p.m. game at Bowdoin College. The Mules, who will host Amherst College at 3 p.m. Saturday, dropped to 6-4 and 5-2 in the league.
* Hamilton goal scorers Justin Felhaber and Jon Stickel both scored their first goals of the season for a 2-0 lead. Rory Gagnon added an empty net goal for his 10th of the season.
* The Continentals took advantage of a turnover near the Colby blue line to score the eventual game-winning goal. Conway intercepted a pass and pushed the puck to the left to Felhaber for a blast.
* Hamilton put pressure on in Colby’s zone to score the second goal by Stickel at 6:52 of the third period. The Mules were unable to clear the zone and Stickel poked home a shot from in front off a rebound.
By the numbers
* Evan Buitenhuis stopped 30 shots for the shutout, while Colby goalie Sean Lawrence stopped 32 shots and allowed two goals.
* Hamilton finished first in the league standings last year and the Mules placed second.