MIDDLETOWN, Conn. — Mikayla McLaughlin scored 6:57 into the third period and the Colby College women’s hockey team held on the rest of the way in a thrilling 2-1 NESCAC win over Wesleyan University on Friday night.
The Mules already have surpassed last year’s win total in moving to 3-5-1 overall and 1-3-1 in the conference. The Cardinals dropped to 3-5-2 and 0-1-2 in the league. The two teams play again Saturday at 3 p.m.
* McLaughlin scored the biggest goal of her collegiate career off an assist from first-year Tay Munson to help the Mules fight back from a 1-0 deficit.
* Brooke Gary scored unassisted with just 10 seconds left in the second period to help Colby tie the game at 1-1.
* After a scoreless opening period, Wesleyan’s Alex Horton tallied at 3:01 of the second period for the 1-0 lead.
By the numbers
* Colby first-year goaltender Cierra San Roman earned her first league win with 12 of her 26 saves in the second period.
* The Cardinals had a 27-21 shot advantage. Munson led the Mules with four shots.
* Carly Thomas was 9-for-15 in winning face-offs for Colby.
* Four of Colby’s five losses this season have come by one goal.