April 26, 2019
School Sports Latest News | Craft Beer | Bangor Metro | Joe Biden | Today's Paper

Tufts Men's college soccer 1 vs Colby 0

Game Time:
Add Score, Photos, or Highlights
Colby College Tufts University
0 1

MEDFORD, Mass. – For the second time in two games the Tufts University Men’s Soccer team came away with a 1-0 overtime victory, this time coming from a penalty shot taken by co-captain Conor Coleman to beat Colby College in both teams’ New England Small College Athletic Conference openers.

The opportunity came seven minutes into the first overtime period when sophomore forward Joseph Braun played a ball into the box to Kevin Halliday. Halliday was taken down hard by defender. A foul was called and a penalty shot awarded to the Jumbos (2-0-0, 1-0-0 NESCAC). Coleman stepped up and drilled the shot into the top right corner past outstretched Mules’ (0-1-0, 0-1-0 NESCAC) goalie Stanley Clarke. It was Coleman’s first goal of the season and fourth of his career.

The game was even for the most part, both teams controlling play during stretches. Colby had the upper hand for a good portion of the first half. In the 12th minute the Mules had the ball down the left side and Jumbo goalie Conner Mieth, who was making his first career start, was out of the net to try to scoop it up. The ball got around him and was headed for goal until it met the legs of a Tufts defender to keep the game scoreless.

Five minutes later, Avery Heilbron had the ball at the top of the box for Colby. He let it rip and the ball was headed for the back of the net before a diving Mieth punched it away from danger.

In the second half and overtime momentum shifted slightly towards the Jumbos, but the game still remained hard fought. In the 78th minute Tufts’ Alex Ratzan took a shot from the top of the box, but it sailed high.

In the final seconds of the half co-captain Sterling Weatherbie played a long ball from well inside Tufts’ own half that made it all the way to the box. Clarke came out to make the save, but slightly misplayed it and the ball ended up bouncing over his head and hitting the left post before it was cleared away by a Colby defender.

The overtime period started and the Jumbos had their foot on the gas from the start. They held a 4-0 shot advantage in OT, making it 12-6 over the course of the whole game. There were shots in the fourth, fifth, and sixth minutes by Tyler KulcsarMatt Zinner, and Gavin Tasker respectively before Halliday was fouled in the box and Coleman drilled in the winner.

Mieth made three saves in his starting debut. Clarke saved two. The Jumbos held the advantage in corner kicks, 12-4.

Colby is in action next at home against Thomas College this Tuesday. Tufts travels to Plymouth State tomorrow for their first away game of the season

You may also like