|Colby College||Middlebury College|
WATERVILLE, Maine — Cam Clouse scored off a direct kick and earlier had a long throw-in lead to a goal by Lucas Pereira in Colby’s College 2-0 win over Middlebury College on Saturday.
Colby improves to 4-3-1 overall and 2-2-1 in the NESCAC. Middlebury, ranked eighth in New England, drops to 5-3 and 2-3 in league play.
The Mules won the Michael P. Russell Memorial Cup with the victory. The cup was established in memory of Michael Russell, who graduated from Middlebury in 1998. He passed away in 2011 at the age of 36. Russell had siblings attend both Middlebury and Colby.
* Pereira scored just 2:37 into the contest for the eventual game-winning goal. Clouse, deep in Middlebury’s end, had a long throw that was deflected backwards by a Panther defender. Colby’s Avery Heilbron got a foot on the ball, but it was deflected away by goalkeeper Jeremy Yeager. Pereira came in hard for the loose ball and beat a defender trying to make a clear.
* Asa Berolzheimer had a nice chance to make it 2-0 with 22:40 left in the first half. His shoulder-high blast was deflected away by Yeager.
* Colby had a terrific sequence right before the foul to set up Clouse’s direct kick goal. For about 30 seconds, the Mules won ball battles with Middlebury to keep the play in the Panthers’ end. Pereira was fouled about 20 yards away to set up the good scoring opportunity.
* Clouse, who scored on a penalty kick to beat University of New England, got all of the direct kick. His blast went to the left of the wall into the upper left corner.
* Both teams had chances in the final 15 minutes of play. Jacob Tower hit the top of the crossbar when he tried to lob a shot over Yeager’s head with 13:12 remaining. Middlebury’s best chance came on a direct kick with 4:50 left, but Colby goalkeeper Avery Gibson dove to his left and punched the ball away.
* Gibson earned the shutout with three saves, while Yeager had six stops.
* The Mules had a 14-11 advantage in shots and the Panthers had a slight 6-5 margin in corner kicks. Colby played physical and had 19 of the 33 fouls in the game.