|Colby College||Bowdoin College|
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Colby men’s ice hockey team used a pair of third period goals to come from behind and hold off Bowdoin by a 2-1 score on Friday night at Watson Arena.
After the 207th meeting between the Mules and Polar Bears, Colby remains unbeaten in NESCAC action to improve to 4-1-0 (3-0-0 NESCAC). Bowdoin falls to .500 on the season at 3-3-0 and 1-2-0 in NESCAC play.
- Both teams traded chances in the opening period, but headed to the first intermission knotted at zero. Cody Todesco narrowly missed a wrap around shot as the puck slid wide of the far post. Colin Reilly challenged Peter Cronin with a close range shot in the final minutes. Mario Benicky flipped the rebound back on net, but Cronin denied the Mules as he slid across the crease.
- Midway through the second frame Bowdoin nearly took the lead off a long through pass from Caleb Perez to Todesco. After sustained Colby pressure in the Bowdoin zone, Perez spotted Todesco near the Colby blue line and fed him the puck. Andrew Tucci stood tall in the one-on-one and turned away the shot.
- The Mules controlled the majority of the period with several promising looks. Benecky came streaking across the crease from right to left and wristed a point-blank shot on Cronin. The junior goalie turned away the bid to preserve the stalemate.
- On the penalty kill, Bowdoin finally scored the game’s first goal to take a 1-0 lead. After weathering a period of play in their own zone, the Polar Bears set up to face the Colby power play. With 27 seconds remaining in the period, and less than a minute into the penalty kill, the puck cleared the zone and deflected off the blade of a Colby player. Todesco collected the puck at center ice and capitalized on a redo of his previous breakaway. The sophomore skated down the slot towards Tucci and fired a shot up the goalie’s shoulder and into the top of the net.
- The Mules came out and quickly evened the game on the power play 33 seconds into the third. Nick O’Connor skated down the right side, shadowed by a Bowdoin defender, and looked to center the puck as he reached the red line. The puck deflected off a Polar Bear skate and into the net.
- Colby took its first lead of the game two minutes later. Kevin Doherty found Cam MacDonald sitting at the right point to set up the play. MacDonald fired off a shot through traffic that kicked up and over the shoulder of Cronin.
- Phil Klitirinos nearly made it three straight for Colby during four-on-four action. Mike Rudolph dug the puck out of the right boards and found Klitirinos all alone in front of the net. The junior stick handled up to Cronin, but the goalie stuffed his bid.
By the Numbers
- After going nearly two full periods without a penalty, the Polar Bears and Mules each went to the box three times in the third.
- Colby was 1-for-4 on the power play, while the Bowdoin was unsuccessful with the extra man. The Polar Bears lone goal came on the penalty kill.
- Cronin made 34 stops in net for the home team.
- Tucci made 41 saves in net for Colby en route to receiving the Pete Schuh Award that is presented to the MVP of the Bowdoin-Colby game.