|Colby College||Bowdoin College|
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin field hockey team returned to the win column after defeating Colby 2-1 on Senior Day Sunday.
The Polar Bears climb to 7-5 (4-4 NESCAC) while dropping the Mules to 9-4 (4-4 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin broke through 22:06 into the first half. Elizabeth Bennewitz controlled the ball at the top ride side of the circle and spun around, passing to Elizabeth Growney also along the near side. Growney one-touched a centering pass to stroke where Kara Finnerty deflected it past a Colby defender. The final touch came from Sarah Jane Weill who redirected the ball from just off Finnerty’s left to complete the sequence.
- Maggie Ford added a goal five minutes later to double Bowdoin’s lead. Bennewitz received the ball at the top following a corner insert from Elle Brine. The junior dished left to Ford who fired off a shot from six yards out. The tally was Ford’s first career goal.
- The Mules made it a one goal game early in the second half, scoring 8:23 into the frame. Lauren Walter directed a shot on net from low on the right that was initially denied by Maddie Ferrucci. Walter collected her own rebound and swept a hard ball into the back of the net.
- Colby earned a penalty corner as time expired but was unable to find an equalizer and force overtime.
By the Numbers
- Bowdoin held a slight 15-10 edge in shots and 12-10 penalty corner advantage.
- Riley Whitmyer made six stops for the Mules.
- Ferrucci made five saves for the Polar Bears.
- Bowdoin hosts Husson University on Wednesday evening with a 7:00 p.m. start.
- Colby travels to Hamilton on October 21 with a noon start.