|Colby College||Bowdoin College|
BRUNSWICK, Maine – Brigit Bergin celebrated Senior Day with a pair of goals to lead the Bowdoin College women’s soccer team to a 3-0 win over Colby on Sunday afternoon at Pickard Field.
The Polar Bears improve to 8-4-1 (3-4-1 NESCAC) and finish the year a perfect 6-0 against Maine teams this fall. The Mules fall to 4-7-2 (0-7-1 NESCAC) with the loss.
- The Polar Bears peppered the net in the early going, taking ten shots in the opening half, including an early chance by Claire Dardinski that hit the post.
- Bowdoin finally broke through in the 35th minute when Nikki Wilson slipped a through-pass to Brigit Bergin, who ripped a hard shot to the top left corner, giving the Polar Bears a 1-0 lead at intermission.
- The Polar Bears doubled their lead in the second half when a corner kick by Morgen Gallagher‘s corner kick deflected off a Colby defender and into the goal with 25:05 remaining in regulation.
- Bowdoin put the contest out of reach with under 12 minutes to go when Bergin scored her second of the match, putting home a tough-angle shot from the right wing.
By The Numbers
- Rachel Stout and the Bowdoin defense preserved the shutout by making three saves. The Polar Bears held a 19-6 advantage in shots overall.
- Shannon Gray kept her team in the contest with ten saves for the Mules.
- Bowdoin returns to action next Saturday at Connecticut College for a 11:30 a.m. kick-off.
- Colby will travel to Clinton, N.Y., to battle Hamilton next Saturday at 11:00 a.m.