|Colby College||Amherst College|
AMHERST, Mass. — The Colby College women’s basketball team gave the top-ranked team in the country, Amherst College, all it could handle into the fourth quarter in a 46-37 NESCAC setback Friday night.
The Mules (7-10 overall, 1-4 NESCAC) play at Hamilton College on Saturday at 3 p.m. Amherst moved to 19-0 overall and 5-0 in the conference.
By the numbers
* Katie McCrum tied for a game-high with 12 points for the Mules. Paige Russell and Haley Driscoll each had 10 points.
* Russell also had five rebounds, three steals, and two assists. Driscoll finished with four boards, two assists, two steals, and a blocked shot. Sarah Hancock had five rebounds and just one turnover while playing 38 minutes.
* Jackie Nagle came off the bench for Amherst with 12 points and nine rebounds. Madeline Eck added 10 points, six rebounds, and three steals.
* The Mules held the No. 1 team in the country to just 36.7 percent shooting. The Mammoths did have a 40-22 rebounding advantage.
* After trailing 16-12 after one quarter, the Mules had a 12-9 scoring margin in the second quarter to trail just 25-24 at halftime.
* Leading 32-30 with 4:20 left in the third quarter, the Mammoths pulled away to take a 38-33 lead into the final 10 minutes.
* The Mules only trailed 40-35 when both teams went scoreless for more than three minutes. Amherst pulled away in the final three minutes.