|Colby College||Amherst College|
AMHERST, Mass. — After earning a 0-0 overtime tie on Friday night, the Colby College women’s hockey team once again gave 10th-ranked Amherst College a battle in a 4-2 loss on Saturday.
The Mules are 4-7-4 overall and 1-5-4 in the NESCAC heading into Tuesday’s road game against New England College at 7 p.m. The Mammoths improved to 9-5-2 and 5-3-2 in the league.
* The Mules trailed 3-1 after the first period, but Mikayla McLaughlin scored at 8:31 of the second period to cut the margin to 3-2. Her bouncing shot through a group of players went between the legs of Amherst goaltender Sabrina Dobbins.
* Amherst, though, held off Colby’s offense the rest of the game. Brenna Sullivan had an insurance goal with 3:28 left in the second period for a 4-2 lead.
* Jamie McNamara and Katie Savage had goals for the Mammoths in the opening 2:20 of action to put their team ahead for good.
* Colby never stopped battling and cut the lead to 2-1 on Cassidy Holzer’s first goal of the season from Jenna Greenbaum, who had her first collegiate point. Greenbaum had a breakout pass to Holzer down the right boards to start the play. Holzer skated in and put a wrist shot inside the near post.
By the numbers
* The Mules had a 28-23 shot advantage, including a 10-7 margin in the third period.
* Cierra San Roman made 19 saves for the Mules, while Dobbins stopped 26 shots.