|Bowdoin College||Colby College|
WATERVILLE, Maine — Ethan Schlager scored 19 points and the Colby College men’s basketball team held off a late Bowdoin College rally to pull out an 89-84 victory in the non-conference game between the rivals Saturday.
The Mules improve to 6-1 overall and will host Bates College next Saturday at 3 p.m. Bowdoin, ranked 22nd in the D3hoops.com national poll, also is 6-1 overall. The two teams will play their NESCAC game on Saturday, Jan. 20, at 3 p.m. in Brunswick.
By the numbers
* Schlager was 7-for-13 from the field and added five rebounds. The Mules were 13-for-32 from 3-point range, while the Polar Bears managed just a 4-of-18 effort.
* First-year guards Matt Hanna and Wallace Tucker both had 15 points for Colby. Tucker had the best game of his young career with 6-for-10 shooting, 3-for-5 from long range, six rebounds, five assists, and three steals. Hanna also was 3-for-5 from 3-point range.
* Sam Jefferson finished with 10 points for the Mules, while Dean Weiner had a fine all-around game with six points, five rebounds, and game-highs in assists (5) and blocked shots (5). Alex Dorion came off the bench with 3-for-4 shooting from behind the arc for nine points and Steven Daley had seven points.
* Bowdoin forward Hugh O’Neil led all scorers with 22 and led the way in rebounds with 15. He was 10-for-13 from the field and finished with seven offensive rebounds.
* David Reynolds came off the bench for the Polar Bears with 16 points on 6-for-10 shooting. Jack Simonds added 14 points and Jack Bors finished with 13.
* Bowdoin guards Zavier Rucker and Stephen Ferraro also played well. Rucker had eight points, seven rebounds, and three assists. Ferraro sparked Bowdoin’s late rally and had eight points and three assists.
* Bowdoin scored the opening basket of the game, but the Mules scored the next 12 points to take early control of the game.
* The Polar Bears twice fought back from 10-point deficits in the first half to cut the margin to 41-40 at halftime. Schlager and O’Neil both had 12 points for their respective teams.
* Bowdoin took its second lead of the game when Simonds hit a layup for a 44-43 margin with 18:32 to play. After the Mules went ahead again, the Polar Bears had their last lead of the game at 60-59 on a bucket by Bors with 9:23 remaining.
* Colby appeared to be in control when Tucker hit two 3-point shots and Jefferson added one for an 81-70 lead with 5:20 remaining. The Mules still led by 11 at 85-74 when Hanna sank two free throws with 4:07 to play.
* Ferraro sparked Bowdoin’s comeback with a quick 3-point play and some aggressive drives to the basket in the final four minutes. Simonds hit two free throws with 1:56 remaining and O’Neil scored inside to cut Colby’s lead to 85-84 with 1:09 remaining.
* The Mules received two big free throws from Tyler Williams with 25 seconds remaining for an 87-84 lead. After a missed shot by Bowdoin, Tucker scored off an assist from Weiner on a long inbounds pass started by Schlager.