WATERVILLE, Maine — Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene scored with 24.5 seconds left in the second overtime Wednesday to help Bates College to a 1-0 win over Colby College and a spot in the New England Small College Athletic Conference men’s soccer playoffs.
The Bobcats (8-5-2 overall, 3-5-2 NESCAC) had to win the game to make the playoffs. Bates earned the eighth seed and will play at top-seeded Tufts University on Saturday in a league quarterfinal game. Colby, which ends its season at 6-6-2 overall, would have made the playoffs if the game ended in a tie.
* Desperate for the goal, Bates even brought up goalkeeper Robbie Montanaro on two corner kicks in the final 1:30 of the second overtime.
* The Bobcats scored off the second corner kick. Morgan Dewdney flicked a header toward the left post. Kimpolo-Pene was open and ripped a shot that Colby goalkeeper Avery Gibson made a terrific save on, but the rebound went back to Kimpolo-Pene and he hit a low shot to the right corner of the net.
By the numbers
* Both goalkeepers came up big while playing 109 minutes, 36 seconds. Montanaro stopped seven shots for the shutout, while Gibson had four of his 12 saves in overtime.
* The Bobcats had seven of their 20 shots in overtime. The Mules, who had 18 shots, had a 9-6 corner kick advantage.
* Kimpolo-Pene had a team-high four shots, with all of them on goal.
* Jeff Rosenberg had three of his game-high five shots on goal for the Mules.