Saturday, June 1 to Sunday, June 2, 2013; 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Location: Eastern Maine Development Coorporation, 40 Harlow St., Bangor, Maine
Contact: Maine Hacker Club;
Maine’s first civic hackathon is set to happen June 1 and 2, in Bangor and Portland, in coordination with the National Day of Civic Hacking. This nationwide event is being coordinated by Code for America (think Americorps for programmers) and Random Hacks of Kindness (an international hackathon group).
Locally, the event is being planned by the Maine Hacker Club with plenty of support from local individuals and institutions.
The event will kick off with a welcome breakfast and a the presentation of a few curated community problems. The problems will be tied to a specific organization or non-profit from our local area and a representative of this group will tell the story behind the problem. Participants will then form into teams or decide to work independently. Workshops and presentations will be offered during the first day, and hacking will continue into the evening. The second day will be one of intense focus and few distractions. Work on the solutions will cease by mid afternoon and demonstrations will commence in the early evening with a reception to follow.
There are several ways to be involved:
There are three ways to participate in Bangor
- Register as a Participant – If you are ready to join a team and build a solution, this is the ticket for you!
- Register as a Non-Profit or Partner – If you’ve got a problem that you’d like to present at the event and would like to interact with our participants during the weekend, your admission is free.
- Register as General Public – If you’d like to come and watch the presentations and demonstrations of prototype solutions built during the hackathon, you’re welcome to join us, free of charge, at 3:30 PM on June 2nd.
Saturday June 1st
- 7:30 AM – Registration Opens, Breakfast is served
- 8:30 AM – Welcome & Opening Address
- 8:45 AM – Problem Definitions Presented
- 9:15 AM – Partipant pitches & team formation
- 9:45 AM – Workshops Round 1 (Databases & Source Control)
- 10:15 AM – Workshops Round 2 (Civic Hacking in Maine, Working with OpenStreetMap)
- 11:00 AM – Hacking Officially Begins!
- 12:00 PM – Lunch is served
- 2:00 PM – Coffee & Snacks
- 5:00 PM – Dinner is served
- 8:00 PM – Hacking continues into the night!
Sunday June 2nd
- 8:30 AM – Doors Open & Breakfast is served
- 3:00 PM – Demos Start
- 4:30 PM – Demos conclude, Prizes!
- 5:00 PM – So long, farewell, Hurrah!