Sunday, January 27, 2013; 9 a.m.
Location: Hidden Valley Nature Center, , Jefferson, Maine
Contact: Gary; 207-586-6752
Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013 9 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Location: Hidden Valley Nature Center, Jefferson, Maine
For more information: Gary; 207-586-6752; hvnc.org
JEFFERSON, Maine — The second annual biathlon will be held 9 a.m. Sunday, Jan, 27, at Hidden Valley Nature Center. Registration is required.
The biathlon is an Olympic sport that combines cross-country skiing and shooting.
The shooting range, specialized biathlon air rifles and targets will be provided and manned by the Southern Maine Biathlon Club. Maine Winter Sports Center will be on hand with a supply of ski equipment to use for free.
The event offers both individual and team divisions:
* Youth age 10 to 14, 2 km of skiing and one round of shooting.
* High school, 3 km of skiing and two rounds of shooting.
* Adult, 3 km of skiing and two rounds of shooting.
* Timid skier, 1.5 km of easy skiing and one round of shooting.
* Snowshoeing for all ages, 1.5 km of easy terrain and one round of shooting.
The Liberal Cup will go to the winning teams.
The Liberal Cup, a Hallowell-based brew pub and restaurant, is the main sponsor of the event.
Teens to Trails is also a supporter of the biathlon.