Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Questions About Access
- Q: I have a print subscription and am trying to set up online access but the site says it cannot find me. Help!
- A: Your email address may not be on your account in our system or we may have multiple accounts with the same email address. Please call 207-990-8002 and we can take a look at what needs to be done for you to successfully register.
- Q: I am a subscriber and I keep getting blocked from reading content. Why?
- A: It sounds like you may not be logged in. Make sure you have signed in using the SIGN IN button in the top menu of our site.
- Q: I am a home delivery subscriber, and my account is in vacation mode. Why can’t I access the website or the e-edition?
- A: As of December 2018, home delivery subscriptions on “vacation stop” will no longer receive free digital access. If you are traveling for 3 weeks or less, just drop us a line and we’ll be happy to grant you digital access. If you wish to retain digital access for a longer period, please call us at 990-8002 to purchase a digital subscription.
- Q: I can’t log in because I’ve lost my password. How do I reset it?
- A: You can reset your password by clicking “forgot password?” on the sign in page. Or, just click here. Follow the steps to choose a new password. Once you’ve reset it, you’ll have to log in.
- Q: How can I tell if I’m logged in?
- A: Just look in the menu bar of our site. Where once there was a SIGN IN button, you will see a MY ACCOUNT button if you are logged in. Click it, and it will display “You are logged in as [your email address].” If you are having trouble logging in on a mobile device, we recommend you check to see if you have the BDN app installed on your device. If you do, please uninstall it. This can resolve some login issues for some users.
Questions About Managing Your Account
- Q: Where can I manage my subscription online?
- A: Just go to our Manage Account page. If you need help, reach us on live chat, email us, or call us at 990-8002 (digital) or 990-8040 (print).
- Q: How do I change my credit card information?
- A: Just go to our Manage Account page. If you’d rather talk to a person, call us at 207-990-8002 for digital, or 207-990-8040 for print.
- Q: How do I cancel my subscription?
- A: Just call us at 207-990-8002 for digital, or 207-990-8040 for print.
Questions About Features
- Q: Why am I being told I have to create an account to comment on BDN articles?
- A: Based on reader and commenter feedback, on June 10, 2019 we switched from Disqus to a new commenting system. Old comment threads will be preserved. To post comments, you will need to create a new commenting account on the new system.
- Q: Why does the EMAIL button on BDN articles not work?
- A: We are working on fixing this function. You may email articles in two ways, which are built in to almost every web browser:
- 1: Copy the URL of the article to your clipboard, then paste that URL into an email.
- 2: Select “print” in your browser menu, and select “print to PDF” as the printer. Then email that file.
- Q: Your website doesn’t look like the paper and I prefer that format. How do I see the paper?
- A: It sounds like you are looking for the e-edition, which is available by 3 a.m. Monday through Saturday. You can find that here. We recommend you bookmark the link.
Questions About the Mobile Experience
- Q: Why can I not open the app?
- A: The Bangor Daily News app is no longer supported. Please uninstall it and access our content from your browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc) instead.
- Q: Why do I have to sign in?
- A: We ask all readers who value BDN reporting to purchase a subscription to support local journalism. Initially, this was only required for unlimited access on desktop devices. When we released an improved mobile site in June 2019 — addressing reader concerns about navigation, speed, and advertising — we added that requirement to the BDN site on mobile devices as well.A subscription is also required to access the e-edition no matter which device you read it on.
- Q: Where did the BDN app go? / Why is the BDN app on my phone not loading new content?A: In the interest of improving the digital experience for BDN readers, we have decided to streamline our mobile experience by retiring our app and focusing on the mobile website only. The site is now easier to navigate, faster, and subscribers can now log in for an “ad lite” experience. We look forward to being able to offer a better app down the road. If you already have the BDN app on your phone, it is no longer supported. Please uninstall it and access our content from your browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc) instead. To keep the BDN at your fingertips, just go to www.bangordailynews.com in your mobile browser, and follow the instructions here to add the BDN to your home screen. (See next question.)
- Q: I am using an iPhone or an iPad and I am still seeing the old site. Why?
- A: Your device may still be looking at the old version. The best way to be sure your device is not doing that is to restart the device and load the page fresh.
- Q: How can I save the BDN mobile site to my phone’s home screen?
- A: Here are some instructions for iOS (iPhone, iPad) and for Android devices. ⬅️Tap the highlighted text.