You hone your writing into a masterpiece, and now it’s ready to send out to the world.
• Where will you send it? How do you select the best places to present your work from thousands of literary markets?
• What do you need to know about copyright?
• How do you write a bio? A cover letter?
• What are the best tools to manage submissions?
• What about literary contests?
• How do you market yourself as a writer?
Through discussion, examples, and handouts to take home, participants in this workshop will gain the knowledge and skills to manage their written work and more effectively navigate the publishing world. Time will also be spent on the value of marketing your work, not by hiring a publicist, but by being an engaged member of the writing community and using standard publicity tools like print and social media.
Instructor Valerie Lawson’s work has been published in Main Street Rag, BigCityLit, About Place Journal, The Catch, Ibbetson Street, and others. Nominated for a Pushcart Prize three times, Lawson won awards for Best Narrative Poem and Spoken Word at the Cambridge Poetry Awards and was a finalist for the 2015 Rita Dove Award. With her partner, Michael Brown, Lawson co-edits Off the Coast literary journal and teaches poetry workshops in New England. She holds a degree in Electronic Publishing from the University of Maine Machias.
Thursday, Sep 14th, 2017
from 5:30 – 8:30 pm