From the community

Summer Folk Lecture Series at the Belfast Free Library

Posted July 06, 2012, at 11:14 a.m.

This summer the Belfast Free Library will host four lectures in conjunction with the summer exhibit at Penobscot Marine Museum, “Summer Folk: the Tourists of Penobscot Bay”. The lectures will take place in the Abbott Room of the Belfast Free Library, at 6:30 p.m. and are free and open to the public.

On July 10th at 6:30 pm the lecture series begins with a presentation by Maine State Historian Earle Shettleworth, Jr. on the history of the Samoset in Rockland titled, “The SamOset: Maine’s Premier Coastal Summer Hotel.”

Built in 1889 as the Bay Point House overlooking Rockland Harbor, this beautifully sited summer resort was acquired by the Ricker Family of Poland Spring fame in 1902. That year the Rickers expanded the building and renamed it the SamOset Hotel. Under Ricker management the SamOset thrived as Maine’s premier coastal resort hotel of the early 20th century. The SamOset closed in 1968 and burned four years later. However, its grand architecture and elegant social life continue to sparkle in the old post cards, photographs, and promotional brochures that illustrate this presentation.

Earle Shettleworth, Jr. is the director of the Maine Historic Preservation Commission and is the Maine State Historic Preservation Officer. A native of Portland, Maine, and a graduate of Colby College, he earned his master’s degree at Boston University, where he held the first fellowship of the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities. He has played an important role in the preservation of Maine’s architectural, historical, and archaeological heritage for more than forty years. He became the Maine Historic Preservation Commission’s architectural historian in 1973 and has been its director since 1976. He is currently the longest actively serving state historic preservation officer in the United States. He is the author of numerous books on Maine’s social and architectural history, and delivers an average of thirty lectures a year. He has a real passion for historical photography and is a postcard collector.

On Tuesday July 24th Beverly Crofoot will present an illustrated talk about the history of Bayside as a destination for summer folk titled, “The Tents, the Pretty Girls and the Homemade Gingerbread at Northport.” In 2008 Beverly was a contributor and chief editor of “if These Cottages could Talk: a History of Bayside in Northport, Maine.”

In August, on Tuesday the seventh Megan Pinette from the Belfast Historical Society and Museum will offer a slide show and talk , “Belfast by the Sea, Summer Visitors.” Then on August 21st author Eleanor Motley Richardson will give a presentation titled, “Summers in North Haven.”

Maine’s oldest maritime museum, Penobscot Marine Museum is celebrating the history of tourism with the exhibit “Summer Folk: The Tourists of Penobscot Bay,” through October 21st with related programs and activities. More information is at www.SummerFolkMaine.com and www.PenobscotMarineMuseum.org, or call 207-548-2529.

For more information about the Belfast Free Library lecture series please call 338-3884 ext 10.

This post was contributed by a community member. Submit your news →

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business