BANGOR, Maine — Penobscot Theatre Company will hold a day camp for children ages 5-12 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the week of Feb. 17. Campers may sign up for some or all days.
February Camp will be led by Resident Teaching Artists Ben Layman and Moira Beale. Each day of camp will focus on a particular aspect of theater while maintaining a daily format.
Camp Day topics are:
- Monday: Intro to Theatrical Styles. Students will be introduced to basic performance techniques, as well as different styles of theater including straight play, musicals, puppet theater, and more.
- Tuesday: Fairytales and Fables. A look at how our legends, stories, and mythology become theater with a strong focus on storytelling. Students will create their own “fractured fairytale” to create a new script for an old tale.
- Wednesday: Shake it up with Shakespeare. Students will make Shakespeare come alive in new and modern ways. Sword fighting, movement, and ensemble building will bring the works of William Shakespeare from page to stage.
- Thursday: Musical Theatre. An examination of the components of musical theater including voice, movement, and styles. Students will work together to create a showstopping song and dance number.
- Friday: Production Design Day. A behind the scenes look at what it takes to make a show happen. Covering topics including make-up, costuming, set construction, and design students will have a chance to create their own new characters. This day includes a backstage tour of the Bangor Opera House!
For more information and to download a registration form, visit the Education page at website penobscottheatre.org. Contact Director of Education and Outreach Jasmine Ireland at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.