Big plans are underway for Union’s celebration of Founders Day 2013, to be held on the Common on the weekend of July 19, 20and 21. Events marking the 239th anniversary of the town’s founding will start on Friday July 19 with a Farmer’s Market on the Common from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. At 5:30 p.m. the Chamber of Commerce will fire up the grill for their “now-famous” Pie Social and Music. Also at 5:30 p.m. the first of two Come Spring Bus Tours sponsored by Union Historical Society leaves the Old Town House. These popular two-hour narrated tours visit the home sites of the early settlers, with tickets priced at $10.
Events of Saturday July 20 will kick off at 7:00 a.m. with registration for a 5-K Run/Walk on a loop through the village, to benefit Vose Library. The race starts at 8:00 a.m. For a more relaxed start to the day, a 7:00-9:30 a.m. pancake breakfast is offered at People’s United Methodist Church. Golfers are welcome daily on Saturday and Sunday at Union Country Club’s 9-hole course on Barrett Hill Road. Green fees ($15/player) will be donated to Vose Library. Joe Murphy will play live music at the bandstand from 9:00 to 9:30. 9:30 a.m. sees the departure of the second Come Spring Bus Tour and the start of the Parade from the Fire House to the Common. Crafters will have sales tables all day on the Common. The Matthews Museum of Maine Heritage will be open at Union Fairground from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. After the Parade, the Midcoast Community Band will offer a concert on the Common from 10:00 to 10:45, followed at 11:00 a.m. with a presentation by historian Jim Nelson in full piratical regalia. Nelson, with a colorful costume and authentic weapons, will appear in the persona of Pirate Dixey Bull who stormed Pemaquid in 1632. A chicken barbeque lunch cooked by Union’s Masons can be enjoyed from 11 a.m to 1:00 p.m. At 12:00 noon a dramatic reading of the “Come Spring Chronicles” will be presented at the Robbins House, headquarters of the Historical Society. Local residents play the parts of the early settlers, in this medley of excerpts collated by Peter Duffey from Ben Ames Williams’ 1940 novel Come Spring. Evening events start at 7:00 p.m. with Silent Movies at the Old Town House, sponsored by Union Historical Society at the Old Town House. This year’s program features three pre-1923 comedy short films, accompanied by Doug Protsik at the piano. From 7:00 to 11:00 p.m. there will be a country dance at Union’s Masonic Hall on Sennebec Road.
Celebrations close on Sunday July 21 with a 9:45 Gospel Music Concert on the Common sponsored by People’s United Methodist Church, followed by open-air worship led by Rev. George L. Hodgkins, Jr. from the grandstand at 10:30 a.m.
Contact the following to register as a participant or for more information:
Parade Jim Murphy, 785-3304
Come Spring Bus Tours Union Historical Society, 785-5444 (leave a message)
Vose Library 5-K Run/Walk Sue McClintock, 785-4733
Crafters Chris Gray, email@example.com
Silent Movie Union Historical Society, 785-5444 (leave a message)
Outdoor worship/Pancake breakfast People’s United Methodist Church, 785-4114
Union Country Club Golf Hank Aho, firstname.lastname@example.org