ORONO, Maine — The Orono Land Trust will hold a trail maintenance work morning beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday, May 3. This is a wonderful opportunity to get outside and do some very important work for your community. The volunteer experience, along with being very important to OLT, is some hard work mixed in with a lot of fun and opportunity to meet like-minded people.
Work is being done at the following:
- Piney Knoll Conservation Area: Leader is Mike Opitz. Planting trees along Orchard Trails Easement and trail improvement on Trail 11 eastern branch. Contact Mike at the end of April for details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Orono High School Land and Rampe Conservation Easement: Leaders are Lin White and Nancy Rampe. Wood chips will be spread on a wet area. Perhaps a new entry will be made for the Eagle Scout Trail. Please wear good footwear and bring gloves, wheel barrels, pitchforks and metal rakes. Meet at: OHS behind the football field.
- Caribou Bog Conservation Area: Leaders are Bucky Owen and Jim Hinds. An old shack will be dismantled. Please wear good footwear and bring gloves, crowbars and hammers. Meet at the kiosk off Taylor Road.
- Davis Conservation Easement: Leader is Glen Koehler. The boundary line needs to be cleared of growth. Please wear good footwear and bring gloves, hand saws, clippers. Meet at the parking area at the end of Gardner Road.
- Veazie: Leader is Kent Tableman. Trail clearing and blazing will be done. Please wear good footwear and bring loppers and hand saws. If you have outdoor white paint, please bring it along with 4 inch brushes. It we get a good crowd, work will be divided between Buck Hill, Manter and McPhetres.
- Orono Behind Former MBNA Building: Northeast Mountain Bike Association members will be building a replacement bridge and rock armoring the upper trail to reduce wet areas. Bring gloves, shovels and rock bars. Meet at the parking area behind the former MBNA building off Godfrey Drive.
If you have any questions, please contact Gail White at 866-0041.