FREEPORT, Maine – The Maine Innkeepers Education Foundation, affiliated with the Maine Innkeepers Association, presented 12 Maine students with hospitality scholarships totaling $12,000 at the tenth annual Tees & Textbooks event held June 9 and 10, announced Greg Dugal, president and CEO at MEIA.
The Scholarship Dinner, which took place at the Samoset Resort in Rockport on June 9, was followed by presentations of sponsored scholarships and musical entertainment by Curt Bessette and Jenn Kurtz. The 20th annual Maine Innkeepers Association Hospitality Golf Classic scholarship fund raiser took place the next day.
Over $180,000 has been awarded to 273 Maine students since the scholarship program began a decade ago. The program is designed to inspire and offer partial support to students pursuing hospitality careers. This year, the tweve deserving Maine students listed below received a record $12,000. in awards :
• Konstantina Rigas of Boothbay Harbor, attending the University of Southern ME.
Charles Samelson Award ($1500 award) Sponsored by Dirigo Stitching and Harry
• Callie Flood of New Harbor, attending Thomas College of Waterville, ME.
Ed Langlois Award ($500 award) Sponsored by Sebasco Harbor Resort.
• Laura Brown, of West Poland, attending Husson University, Bangor, ME
Women in Hospitality Award ($3000 award) Sponsored by Nancy Gray, Maureen
McQuade, Kathryn Weare, Jean Ginn Marvin, Marian Burns & Darlene Ratte.
• Erica Jackson of Oxford, attending University of Southern Maine, Portland ME
Maine Innkeepers Memorial Award in Memory of George McPhail & Timothy Watts ($1000 Award) Sponsored by Giri Hotel Family
• Nicole Nugent of Monmouth attending Johnson & Wales University, Providence, RI
Jedediah Scott Award ($1000 Award) Sponsored by Peter Daigle of Lafayette Hotels.
• Larisa Jacobs of Bath attending University of Maine, Augusta, ME
Dennis Johnston Award ($500 Award) Sponsored by Ron and Jeanne Carpentier
• Kathryn Asalone of Hampden attending University of Maine, Orono
John “Jack” Gibbons Award ($500 Award) Sponsored by Fisherman’s Wharf.
• Amanda Richard of Glenburn attending Southern New Hampshire University, Manchester, NH
Mike Kazilonis Award ($1000 Award) Sponsored by Sysco Northern New England
• Malcolm Legloahec of Portland attending University of Southern Maine, Portland ME
Ed and Fay Carpenter Award ($1000 Award) Sponsored by Friends and Family Members and Carrabasset Coffee.
• Shyann Gauthier of Appleton attending Southern New Hampshire University, Manchester NH
Marcel LaCasse Award ($500 Award) Sponsored by Joe Van Why
• Haylee Munson, of Cumberland attending University of Southern Maine, Portland, ME
Charlie Keegan Award ($1000 Award) Sponsored by Migis Hotel Group
• Liberty McKnight, of Thomaston, attending Roanoke College, Salem VA
Maine Innkeepers Education Foundation Award ($500 Award) Anonymous Donor
“It is wonderful that our membership has once again risen to the occasion and exceeded last year’s contributions to the Maine Innkeeper’s Education Foundation,” stated Dugal. “Our industry remains committed to offering support to Maine students, and we hope many of them will remain in Maine with careers in hospitality.”
Scholarships were awarded after review by a selection committee who considered scholastic records, financial need, extracurricular activities and a desire to work in hospitality to Maine students enrolled at fully accredited schools with specialties in culinary arts or hotel administration. This includes hospitality schools in the State University System, private Universities or Colleges, and Maine Community College Systems. Non- hospitality awards may also be available to employees and their families or family members of innkeepers. Maine Innkeeper’s Association Education Foundation is a 501c3 charity.
About the Maine Innkeepers Association
The Maine Innkeepers Association, a leading provider of tourism information to both Maine’s lodging industry and its visitors, represents nearly 700 B&Bs, camps, cottages, hotels, inns, motels and resorts across Maine, and their suppliers. Through communication, education, promotion and government affairs, the Association helps its members achieve prosperity and deliver a quality product to the consumer. Maine Innkeepers Association is located in Freeport, ME and can also be found at www.maineinns.com
This post was contributed by a community member. Submit your news →