BANGOR — MaineStream Finance will hold a first-time home buyer course from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 23 at 262 Harlow Street.
Learn everything you need to know about the home buying process with HoMEworks, a nonprofit group dedicated to consumer homebuyer education. Attending this eight-hour course, taught by certified housing counselors and industry professionals, could make you eligible for the $3,500 Maine State Housing Advantage grant to apply towards closing costs.
All courses are designed to help students get their questions answered without feeling obligated to buy a home or work with a particular professional. HoMEworks believes the best place to start the home buying process is in the classroom. Courses are sponsored by University Credit Union.
What you’ll learn:
- The home buying process
- Money management and the costs involved
- Goal setting and preparing for homeownership
- How to qualify and obtain a mortgage loan
- Lender’s view: Determining creditworthiness and affordability
- What to expect at closing
- How to avoid being ripped off