The ninth annual Maine Ice Fishin’ Derby & Benefit is a statewide, season-long, online-entry ice fishing derby where folks can target any and all fish species with the chance to win prizes. The derby rules are as follows:
1. All fish must be caught by tip-up, jigging, or rod and reel from Dec. 1, 2018-March 31, 2019, on legal Maine waters.
2. Fish can be caught through the ice or in open water.
3. Any entry submitted for the longest fish within a respective species must be photographed alongside a tape measure (inch increments) and derby card, and emailed to Wes at firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name & date caught.
4. Fish photos must be taken directly above fish looking straight down and be of decent quality.
5. Tape measure must be aligned straight (without bends) and not be hidden by fish or other objects.
6. Fish must be laid straight without any manipulation (e.g. mouth extension, body curvature, etc.).
7. Official fish lengths will be determined by derby organizer(s).
Weekly updates including fish entries and photos will be emailed and posted to Facebook for all contestants throughout the derby’s duration. At the completion of the derby, those anglers with the greatest recorded length for each species (only 1 record per species) will be placed in the lottery for the chance to win the total cash purse (top prize) and/or other prizes (gifts from area businesses & generous folks).
If any one person has length records for multiple species, their name will be submitted into the lottery multiple times (increasing their chance of winning the cash purse and/or other prizes)
Half of the proceeds benefit the education fund for Chase Cyr, the son of Ashe’s high school friend Alec Cyr who died of cancer in 2011.
To sign up for the derby, just mail your $10 entry fee (cash or check) to: 54 Clover Lane, Brewer, ME 04412. Make checks payable to Wes Ashe. Visit Maine Ice Fishin’ Derby & Benefit on Facebook for rules.