February 19, 2018
Community News Latest News | Poll Questions | Tourney Time 2018 | Richard Gates | Winter Olympics

UMF 150th anniversary celebrated in local corn maze design

Community Author:
Post Date:

FARMINGTON, Maine — Sandy River Farms in Farmington is hosting its fifth annual Amazing Corn MAiZE, and this year it features a design around the University of Maine at Farmington’s 150th Anniversary Celebration. The York family farm owners proposed the tribute to the University and worked with Kelly Dodge, UMF vice president of university advancement, on the design.

“We are so honored by this touching display,” said Dodge in a press statement. “This is a great example of the close relationship that UMF and the local community have enjoyed for 150 years. Campus and community members alike look forward to the challenge of the Sandy River Farm maze every year, but this year’s holds a special excitement.”

Designed by the world’s leading designer of more than 1,500 corn mazes worldwide, the Sandy River Corn MAiZE hopes to challenge the wits of those seeking to find the one exit from their mind-boggling puzzle. Though the correct pathway can be walked in only 15 minutes, most wandering maze-goers will require about one hour to travel through more than three miles of twists, turns and decision points.

The MAiZE is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekends through Sunday, Oct. 27. It is located at 755 Farmington Falls Road, about 2 miles outside of Farmington on Route 2. Cost is $8 for ages 10 and up, $4 for ages 3-10, and free for children 3 and under. After visitors find their way through the human labyrinth, they are also invited to explore the pumpkin patch, have a hayride, take a spin on the cow train, play in the corn box or feed the animals.

The University of Maine at Farmington celebrates its 150th anniversary this academic year. This historic milestone marks UMF’s passage from humble beginnings as the state’s first “Normal School” to that of a nationally recognized public liberal arts University of nearly 2,000 students.

The school was first established as the Western State Normal School by the Maine State Legislature on Oct. 9, 1863. It officially opened on Aug. 24, 1864, and was dedicated to educating future teachers. In 1889, it became the Farmington State Normal School and built its long-standing reputation on the vision and determination of its leaders and the scholarship and citizenship of its students.

The school would go on to grow and change, weather two world-wars, expand the degrees it offered and undergo several name changes. In 1971, it became the University of Maine at Farmington, a school that today continues its 150-year tradition of providing a quality public liberal arts education in the arts and sciences, teacher education, pre-professional programs and helping all students to be successful.

For more information on UMF’s 150th Anniversary Celebration and event details, please visit UMF’s Sesquicentennial website at http://150.umf.maine.edu/