Texting, calling and surfing the web are smartphone communication cores. Yet, smartphone owners primarily use their devices for entertainment (90 percent) and to update their social media status (84 percent), according to a recent U.S. Cellular survey¹. The survey also revealed several differences in how men and women use their Apple and Android smartphones – from camera usage to dating etiquette.
Here are some “battle of the sexes” revelations in regard to smartphone usage:
• Phone Frequency – Women are more likely than men to do things with their smartphone several times per day, including texting (71 to 53 percent), social media (57 vs. 38 percent), instant messaging (33 to 24 percent), Snapchat (19 vs. 9 percent) and photo sharing (13 to 8 percent).
• Picture Perfect – More women take photos with their smartphones than men (74 vs. 58 percent).
• Social Setting – Three-fourths of women utilize social media on their smartphone, compared to 53 percent of men.
• Smart Shopping – Women are 16 percent more likely to shop online than men (54 to 38 percent).
• Want to Go Out? – Men are more likely to text for a first date than women (85 to 71 percent).
• Text Timing – More men believe that it’s acceptable to respond to text messages while on a date (30 vs. 21 percent of females).
• Healthy Habits – Women (39 percent) utilize their smartphones to manage their health more than men (28 percent).
¹ Between Nov. 8-17, 2017, a total of 706 online interviews were conducted among a nationally representative sample by Consumer Insights, in partnership with Maritz CX.
About U.S. Cellular
U.S. Cellular is the fifth-largest full-service wireless carrier in the United States, providing national network coverage and industry-leading innovations designed to elevate the customer experience. The Chicago-based carrier offers coverage where the other carriers don’t and a wide range of communication services that enhance consumers’ lives, increase the competitiveness of local businesses and improve the efficiency of government operations. For the fourth time in a row, U.S. Cellular has the Highest Wireless Network Quality Performance, according to J.D. Power’s twice-annual U.S. Wireless Network Quality Performance Study, and 99 percent of customers have access to 4G LTE speeds. To learn more about U.S. Cellular, visit one of its retail stores or www.uscellular.com. To get the latest news, promos and videos, connect with U.S. Cellular on Facebook.com/uscellular, Twitter.com/uscellular and YouTube.com/uscellularcorp.