AUGUSTA, Maine — Spring is coming, and so are many opportunities to find a new job. The Department of Labor’s network of 12 CareerCenters will be sponsoring or participating in several career fairs. Hundreds of employers will be hiring for both permanent and seasonal positions. Two are scheduled for the first week of March.
Businesses interested in participating in these events and other free hiring services the department provides, such as Maine’s Job Bank, should contact their local CareerCenter.
The following Job Fairs have been scheduled to date around the state:
- Portland: March 4, Occupational Licensing Fair for Veterans Only from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Armory at 772 Stevens Ave., recruiting for the following occupations: electrician, plumber, boilermaker, fuel technician (oil/propane and natural gas) and law enforcement. Sponsored by the Maine Department of Labor, Department of Professional and Financial Regulation, Maine Military and Community Network along with Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve.
- Lewiston: March 3, Mini Job Fair at the Lewiston CareerCenter, 5 Mollison Way, 9 a.m. to noon with 35 employers.
- Ellsworth: March 20, 9 a.m. to noon at Mill Mall, 248 State Street. Sponsored by Ellsworth Chamber of Commerce, The Jackson Laboratory, Tri-County Workforce Investment Board, Eastern Maine Development Corporation, Bangor CareerCenter and the Maine Department of Labor.
- Portland: March 25, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Maine Sunday Telegram/Monster Spring Career Fair at the Italian Heritage Center in Portland. Hosted by Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram. FMI call Kim at (207) 791-6135.
- Machias: March 27, from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at the Lee-Pellon Event Center. Employers, call Dodie at 255-1933 to register, space is limited. Sponsored by the Machias CareerCenter, the Maine Department of Labor and Northern Maine Development Corporation.
- Springvale: 4th Annual York County Regional Job Fair, March 28, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Nasson Community Center, 457 Main Street, Springvale, ME. Sponsored by the York County CareerCenter, the Maine Department of Labor, York County Maine Military Community Network, Sanford Regional Technical Center, York County Community College, Sanford/Springvale Chamber of Commerce and Goodwill Workforce Solutions.
- Augusta: April TBA, Augusta Armory Job Fair. Open to Veterans and the general public.
- Lewiston/Auburn: 11th Annual Androscoggin County Job Fair, Friday, April 4, 9 a.m. to noon at Central Maine Community College, 1250 Turner Street, Auburn. Employers should register online athttp://www.androscoggincounty.com .
- Presque Isle: April 9, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Northeastland Hotel. Sponsored by the Presque Isle CareerCenter, the Maine Department of Labor and Northern Maine Development Corporation. For employer registration information, call the Presque Isle CareerCenter at 760-6300 or 1-800-635-0357.
- Calais: April 17, from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Washington County Community College Gymnasium. Employers, call Dodie at 255-1933 to register; space is limited. Sponsored by the Calais CareerCenter, the Maine Department of Labor and Northern Maine Development Corporation.
- Bangor: May TBA. Spring Job Fair.
- Pittsfield: May 14, Pittsfield Area Regional Job Fair, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Warsaw Middle School Gym and Cafeteria, 167 School Street. Registration form available at http://www.pittsfield.org . Sponsored by the Ken-Som (Kennebec-Somerset) Transition Team and the Town of Pittsfield.
- Augusta: June 17, First Annual State of Maine Government and Maine Municipal Government Job Fair for Veterans at the Augusta Armory.
CareerCenters offer a variety of workshops and services to help people find employment or upgrade skills. Each center provides several public-access computer workstations with Microsoft Office software, resume writing and cover letter software, Internet access and O’Net software for skills assessment. All CareerCenter services are free of charge.
Maine CareerCenters are an equal opportunity provider. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.