BOOTHBAY, Maine — Now in its fifth year, the Christmas Market at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens surely qualifies as a tradition. Popular returning vendors will be joined by exciting new ones, all displaying and selling their finest New England-made wares 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 14. Admission is free, and refreshments will add to the holiday fun. The Gardens Gift Shop will be open too.
Two authors and an illustrator will be on hand for signings and conversation. Nick Alfiero of Portland will sign his new book, “Harbor Fish Market” (Down East), from 10 a.m. until noon. From 10 am. to 1 p.m., Islandport Press will present author Elise Richer and illustrator Teresa Lagrange, who will sign copies of “Always in Season,” which features recipes by month for products available at farmers’ markets at those times.
Below is the latest list of Christmas Market vendors that will be in the Visitor Center and adjacent Education Center at the Gardens, located off Barters Island Road in Boothbay. After selecting items to buy, a single check-out simplifies the shopping experience.
- Bath Sweet Shoppe – special Christmas stocking-stuffer candy from an old-fashioned candy store
- Black Dinah Chocolatiers – exceptional chocolates in beautiful boxes
- Common Folk Herb Farm – wonderful herbal mixes and teas
- For the Birds – a new collection of feeders
- Honey Exchange – tasty, unusual-flavored honeys and other items for the bee lover and beekeepers
- Hootenanny Breads – fresh baked, perfect for holiday meals
- Hudson Valley Heirloom Seeds – a special collection of organic seeds including the 2014 new releases – the perfect stocking stuffer
- Human Nature Soaps – a Maine-made selection of natural soaps and creams
- Island Stone Jewelry – inspired by the rocks around us, delightful Maine-made silver and stone jewelry
- Leslie Evans Designs – made-in-Maine balsam sachets and pillows, plus table runners
- McCarthy Jewelry – hand-crafted resin-tile earrings in a variety of colors and shapes
- Obadiah Stonework – fabulous Maine stone items for the home, kitchen, and garden
- Old Bottle Sea Glass of Maine – a collection of glass decorative items and jewelry made in Maine
- Pickles n’ Things – Maine-made gourmet relishes, jams, sauces, pickles and other delectables
- Scarves Galore – cashmere, silk blends, and wool/microfiber
- Solmate Socks – socks, mittens, and hats made of recycled cotton yarn in creative, fun color combinations
- Spiral Beeswax Candles – elegant and unusual spiral beeswax taper candles perfect for entertaining or gift giving; available in several different colors and styles.
- Trillium Totes – custom-made tote bags with a variety of botanical motifs
- Woodfield Animal Cards – the Cindy Woodfield collection of animal cards covering all the seasons, plus birthday and get-well wishes
- Woodturnings from Lanny Dean – an impressive selection of handmade wooden bowls and other items
To learn more, visit the Gardens’ website, www.MaineGardens.org, or call 633-4333, ext. 101.