Students at Orono’s middle and high schools were evacuated Tuesday morning after the smell of gas was reported.
The smell was likely related to propane delivery earlier in the day to the kitchen shared by the middle and high schools, Orono Fire Captain Scott Luciano said after students returned to class.
“No levels of gas were detected in the building,” Luciano said.
The smell was reported at Orono Middle School on Goodridge Drive shortly after 9 a.m. according to a Penobscot County dispatcher. Officials evacuated that school as well as nearby Orono High School and the superintendent’s office.
Orono firefighters thoroughly searched of the buildings, which were determined to be safe to re-enter around 11:10 a.m., Orono High School principal Reg Ruhlin said in a statement.
“We erred on the side of caution,” he said.