A West Newfield woman died in a camper fire Saturday when a lit candle ignited a blanket, officials said Monday.
Firefighters found Connie Bailey, 48, unconscious on the floor of the sleeping area of a camper on Corinna Road near Melody Lane at 6 a.m., according to Sgt. Scott Richardson of the state fire marshal’s office.
Investigators determined the blaze began when the blankets at the foot of the bed caught fire on a candle, Richardson said. The camper did not have smoke detectors, he said.
Bailey was visiting the area and staying in the camper, which was parked on a front lawn, St. Albans Fire Chief Jason Emery said.
Emergency crews pulled Bailey from the camper and performed CPR on her for 45 minutes but couldn’t revive her, Emery said.
“We started it [thinking it was] a rescue, but she was really deceased,” Emery said Monday. “There was really not much smoke or damage.”