Search continues for missing Bangor man considered ‘despondent,’ detectives say

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 10, 2017, at 5:23 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A local man who went missing just over a month ago was apparently feeling depressed in the days leading up to his disappearance, Bangor police Detective Lt. David Bushey said Tuesday without disclosing what investigators believe happened.

Paul Francis III, 29, who goes by the nickname “June Bug,” worked the evening shift as a cook at Geaghan’s Pub and was last seen leaving a party on Sanford Street sometime after 1 a.m. on Dec. 2, Bangor Police Department officials have said.

Francis was reported missing on Dec. 4 and family and friends started their own search in Bangor the following day, so far to no avail. Volunteers continue to meet daily at the Union Street Brick Church to get updates and search assignments, according to the group’s Facebook page, Search for June Bug.

“Without disclosing specifics, in the days leading up to his disappearance, Mr. Francis’ actions were consistent with a person who would be considered despondent,” Bushey said in an email interview.

Because the investigation remains an active missing person case, “we are limited in what can be released,” the detective lieutenant said.

Detectives have spent the last month searching for clues into Francis’ whereabouts after leaving Sanford Street.

“Our [criminal investigation division] members have collected and reviewed any available surveillance video from downtown Bangor,” Bushey said, adding later that “we did not positively identify him on any cameras after leaving Sanford Street.”

Investigators also have completed additional interviews with co-workers, family, friends and associates, “including those who were at the location Mr. Francis was last seen,” he said.

Detectives have maintained contact with Francis’ sister, who organized the Dec. 5 search, to provide updates to his family regarding the investigation, Bushey said. Attempts to reach family members on Tuesday were unsuccessful.

Francis’ profile also has been added to the online National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, known as the NameUs database.

Francis is described as 5 feet 6 inches tall, about 130 pounds with brown hair and eyes and a bottom lip piercing.

One volunteer set up a GoFundMe site to raise $1,000 in reward money for information leading to Francis’ whereabouts. Page creator and volunteer Robert Kearns posted that an anonymous donor pledged $250 to start the account, which by Tuesday afternoon had raised $780.

“The monies will be 100 [percent] to be offered as a reward for information leading to finding June Bug,” Kearns states. “In the event that a reward is not needed, then these monies will be for June Bug’s son.”

The reward posters are hanging in windows of several Bangor-area businesses.

“We will not give up until we find him good, bad or ugly,” Kearns said Tuesday.

While Francis’ family, friends and volunteers who never met him continue their search of the streets and waterways around the city, law enforcement investigators are conducting their own search for answers regarding his disappearance.

“We have received several phone calls from concerned citizens and will continue to investigate any possible information that may lead to Mr. Francis’ location,” Bushey said.

Anyone with information about Francis’ whereabouts can call Bangor police at 947-7382.

 

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/01/10/news/bangor/search-continues-for-missing-bangor-man-considered-despondent-detectives-say/ printed on April 28, 2017