Former Jonesport-Beals basketball coach Ordman Alley denies abuse allegations

Posted Aug. 25, 2014, at 11:33 a.m.
Last modified Aug. 25, 2014, at 6:18 p.m.

Related stories

Ordman Alley hollers to his players during a game on Feb. 17, 2003.
Kevin Bennett | BDN
Ordman Alley hollers to his players during a game on Feb. 17, 2003.

BANGOR, Maine — Former Jonesport-Beals High School boys basketball coach Ordman Alley on Monday strongly denied allegations of sexual abuse levied against him, which led to his recent removal from two Maine athletic halls of fame.

In a press release issued by Alley’s attorney, Brett Baber, Alley called the accusations from two women who said they are victims “unfounded lies which have kept me out of my rightful place in the Maine Sports Hall of Fame and the Maine Basketball Hall of Fame.”

Alley, a 2003 inductee into the Maine Sports Hall of Fame based on a 39-year coaching career during which he led Jonesport-Beals to more than 550 victories and nine state championships, was quietly removed from that hall in June.

He also was slated to be among the inaugural inductees into the Maine Basketball Hall of Fame last week, but that recognition was rescinded in April.

In his statement, Alley said he “was not provided with any semblance of due process by these organizations before they made their respective decisions, which have irreparably harmed my reputation. Neither organization contacted me for my perspective before they reached an unfounded conclusion.”

Maine Basketball Hall of Fame chairman Steve Pound declined to comment Monday on Alley’s statements and whether the hall sought his input before rescinding his induction.

Maine Sports Hall of Fame president Dick Whitmore said Monday afternoon, “I have no comment at this time.”

The abuse allegations against Alley stem from his time as a teacher at an elementary-middle school, the Cove School, in Jonesport during the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Two women, both former students at the school, came forward to hall of fame officials with their allegations earlier this year, after Alley was announced as an inaugural member of the basketball hall of fame. The Bangor Daily News is not naming these women because they might be victims of sexual assault.

In his statement issued Monday, the 72-year-old Alley said, “these allegations have been made by two individuals who have historically demonstrated their personal animosity toward me. I have heard these allegations before and they are completely without merit.”

One alleged victim, a 58-year-old originally from Jonesport, said Monday she sent a letter containing her allegations of abuse to Alley in 2005.

That letter was subsequently provided to both the Maine Sports Hall of Fame and the Maine Basketball Hall of Fame. According to a member of the basketball hall’s board of directors, the allegations in that letter led to the decision to rescind Alley’s induction.

Alley, in his statement, confirmed he received the 2005 letter from the woman, which he said contained “numerous allegations of abuse, incidents which simply never occurred.”

“Her claims do not survive any serious scrutiny as most of the alleged incidents occurred in highly public settings in the local school,” Alley added.

In an earlier interview with the Bangor Daily News, the woman said her family was dissuaded from reporting alleged abuse to authorities because of possible repercussions in the community.

On Monday, she reasserted her allegations and said she didn’t want someone she believes preyed on her to receive more accolades for his coaching career.

“I just wanted him to not be honored,” said the woman, who discussed her allegations with the basketball hall’s board of directors. “I just wanted him to be accountable for what he did and to realize what he did to me.”

Alley also said in his statement that he took a paternity test in the early 1990s amid earlier allegations from one of the women that he apparently fathered her child.

“Notwithstanding the fact that there was no chance that I was the father, I submitted to a paternity test,” Alley said. “This test scientifically proved that I was not the father.”

The woman, however, disputes Alley’s statement. She said Monday she was informed the results of the paternity test were inconclusive.

A second alleged victim, also 58 and originally from Jonesport, told the Bangor Daily News last week that she shared her allegations of abuse with Maine Basketball Hall of Fame officials. She also reiterated her allegations on Monday, after Alley’s statement was released.

“He’s denied it the whole time,” she said Monday. “I already knew he would again. But I know what happened, so we’ll just go from there and see what happens, that’s all I’ve got to tell him.”

Alley’s statement denying the allegations highlighted his long career as an educator.

“I dedicated my life to serving children and young adults as a teacher and a coach. Sexual abuse of any kind is repugnant to me and everything I stand for,” Alley said.

Alley said in the statement he is exploring his options for bringing legal action “against those who have slandered me. I look forward to the opportunity to address these false allegations in a court of law where all of the participants will be assured of due process.”

To reach a sexual assault advocate, call the Statewide Sexual Assault Crisis and Support Line at 800-871-7741, TTY 888-458-5599. This free and confidential 24-hour service is accessible from anywhere in Maine. Calls are automatically routed to the closest sexual violence service provider.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Down East