June 19, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Cigarette blamed for fire at South Berwick store

By Joel Kost, Foster's Daily Democrat

SOUTH BERWICK, Maine — The South Berwick Fire Department responded to a small fire at Vacuum Village on Monday afternoon that was likely caused by a cigarette.

One engine from Rollinsford, N.H. also responded.

The report of a small fire came in at 2:43 p.m. The fire started in a wall in the rear of the building near a window, causing smoke to filter into the rooms. The fire was put out in about 10 minutes, South Berwick Fire Chief George Gorman said, and responders spent another hour hosing down the affected area and clearing out wood and insulation.

Gorman said the responders initially believed electrical issues caused the fire because it started in the wall. Upon further inspection, however, Gorman said it’s likely that a cigarette found on the lower left of the windowsill started the fire, burning through the wood and traveling up the side of the window. No one was injured during the incident.

Distributed by MCT Information Services


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like