BREWER, Maine — A natural gas leak forced a large section of Wilson Street to be closed and multiple businesses to be evacuated on Wednesday afternoon.
Brewer police were dispatched to assist firefighters with the gas leak in the area of TradeWinds Marketplace at 12:20 p.m., Brewer Deputy Police Chief Jason Moffitt said.
Andrew Barrowman, a marketing and sales manager for Bangor Gas, said the owner of TradeWinds was putting in a fence when a service line that feeds the Coach House restaurant and TradeWinds was hit.
Wilson Street was shut down to traffic between Parkway South and Sparks Avenue for about an hour and a half. The road, which is also Route 1A, had reopened by 2 p.m.
Wednesday’s gas leak is the second in less than a week to which local authorities have responded.
Moffitt said the odor of gas could be smelled as far back as the intersection of Wilson Street and Parkway South.
Barrowman said the gas leak was contained in about 20 minutes. Brewer police and fire and Bangor Gas officials responded to the call.