April 25, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | George H.W. Bush | Litchfield Homicide | Schoolhouse Fire

Connecticut man arrested in Acadia after threatening to cut park ranger’s throat

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A man arrested Sunday in Acadia National Park after threatening to cut the throat of a park ranger appeared late Monday in U.S. District Court on a variety of charges.

Graham MacPherson, 51, of Manchester, Connecticut, was charged with interfering with an agency function, disorderly conduct, violation of a camping permit and being under the influence of alcohol and a danger to oneself or others.

He pleaded guilty to the disorderly conduct charge and the other charges were dismissed, Assistant U.S. Attorney Andrew McCormack said Tuesday.

MacPherson was sentenced to time served — about 18 hours — and ordered to pay a $200 fine, according to the federal prosecutor.

Ranger Elliot Arsenault was called to the Blackwoods Campground about 10:30 p.m. Sunday for a report of an intoxicated man using obscene language, according to the affidavit written by Arsenault and filed in U.S. District Court.

“When I approached MacPherson, he was drinking a beer and appeared to be very agitated,” the ranger wrote. “I explained to MacPherson that he would need to remain quiet for the remainder of the night pursuant to his camping permit. The camping permit requires quiet hours between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m.

“MacPherson stated that a park employee threatened him and that all he was doing was listening to a Red Sox game,” Arsenault said in the affidavit. “As I drove away, I heard MacPherson yell something toward me but could not understand what he had yelled.”

As Arsenault was driving away from the Connecticut man’s campsite, he was flagged down by man who complained about MacPherson’s use of obscene language. When the ranger went back to speak with MacPherson, the people in an adjacent campsite told the ranger that MacPherson “had yelled that he was going to ‘cut my throat with a knife if I (Ranger Arsenault) returned,’” the affidavit said.

Arsenault and Ranger Josh Bennoch, who had arrived on the scene, told MacPherson to come out of his tent and stand up, according to the affidavit. MacPherson, who “had a difficult time standing up due to what appeared to be his high level of intoxication,” was placed under arrest.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like