June 18, 2018
Penobscot Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Head-on collision in Winn results in 3 victims LifeFlighted to Bangor hospital

By Nick Sambides Jr., BDN Staff

WINN, Maine — Three people seriously injured when a Chevy Blazer crossed the center line and collided head-on with a Toyota SUV on Route 2 were flown by LifeFlight helicopters to a Bangor hospital Monday night, state police said.

Brad Curtis, 29, of Passadumkeag, was taken by LifeFlight helicopter to Eastern Maine Medical Center after his Blazer collided with the Toyota driven by Lois Smart, 64, of Mattawamkeag. Smart’s husband, David Smart, was brought by ambulance to Penobscot Valley Hospital and LifeFlighted to EMMC after she had been flown directly from the scene, Trooper Ben Campbell said.

Campbell said he was unaware of Curtis’ condition, but said Mrs. Smart had undergone surgery for lacerations and a broken leg and that David Smart was in serious condition. Other troopers at the scene said the three appeared to suffer head and chest injuries.

A nursing supervisor at Eastern Maine Medical Center declined to comment late Monday, saying she hadn’t yet received signed consent forms to release information regarding the patients’ conditions.

Campbell said that the Blazer was southbound toward Lincoln and the Toyota was headed in the opposite direction on Route 2 near Military Road when the accident occurred at about 5:25 p.m.

“Judging by skid marks and the vehicle placement, the Blazer crossed into the oncoming lane and hit head-on with the other vehicle,” Campbell said late Monday. “It’s still under investigation to determine what happened but that was the obvious evidence.”

The Blazer came to rest atop the Toyota. Both vehicles were totaled. The three motorists were fortunate that their airbags deployed, Campbell said. He was unaware whether the three were all wearing seatbelts.

Campbell hopes to interview Curtis to determine why his vehicle crossed into oncoming traffic, he said.

Firefighters blocked a large section of Route 2 for more than two hours in response to the accident.

Watch bangordailynews.com for updates.


Correction: An earlier version of this story misidentified Lois Smart as Lois Smith. It has been corrected.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like