HERMON — The town of Hermon will hold its Bicentennial Sizzler Saturday, Aug. 9-10, at the
Hermon Recreation Area at Hermon Elementary School. The schedule is:
Saturday, Aug. 9:
• Adult co-ed softball tournament at recreational fields 2 and 3. Umpire and team meeting, 7:45 a.m. Games begin 8 a.m. at the softball fields “down back. Breakfast and lunch concessions available.
• Early bird breakfast, 7-9 p.m., Lynde Masonic Lodge, Route 2, in Hermon.
• Ecotat Gardens arts and crafts show, 9 a.m.- 3 p.m. at the Gardens, corner of Annis Road and Route 2. “Arts in the Gardens” is sponsored by Art Minded People, a group of local artists who gather to paint in the garden with all media. The gallery will be open with art and crafts available for purchase, including paintings, jewelry, painted glassware and more.
• HHS Summer Sizzler 5K Road Race, registration, 10 a.m. at the information booth, Hermon Elementary School. $10 per person. Walkers begin at 10:30 a.m., runners at 10:45 a.m.
• Hermon Recreation Summer Sizzler Parade, 11 a.m. Begins at Hermon High School and goes
to Hermon Elementary with many new groups, including six Anah Shrine parade units.
• Carnival Land, 12:30-3:30 p.m. Waterslide, obstacle course, bounce houses, carnival games, mechanical bull ride, rock climbing wall with bungee jump, “Rock and Roll Racing” track, food and more. Special guest Zachary Fields from Field of Gravity, and appearances by Anah Shrine Funsters. $5 wristband gives unlimited access to these activities. Purchase wristband before the event at hermon.net or at the information booth.
• 4H Shoes and Shears Petting Zoo, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. Bring quarters and enjoy safely feeding and petting sheep, rabbits, goats, ducks and chickens.
• Motorcycle and Classic Car viewing noon-2 p.m., reserved area in front of the elementary school. Cars and bikes of residents and supporters of the Bicentennial Sizzler.
• Friends of Hermon Football noon-3:30 p.m. Stop by the booth and join the fun with football mini games. Clothing, Hawk Cards and merchandise available for purchase along with information about football programs offered in Hermon.
• Maine Operation Lifesaver, 12:30 p.m., on the concourse. Operating model railroad set, giveaways of coloring books, sticker puzzles, pencils, refrigerator magnets, bookmarks, paper engineer caps, and more. all with the message of staying off and away from railroad tracks.
• Blue Hill Brass Quintet, 12:30 p.m., main stage. Also, look for them in the parade.
• Morita’s School of Dance performers, 1:30 p.m., under the big tent. Find many food vendors in the tent area.
• Hines Clan Band- Bluegrass music, 2:30 p.m., main stage.
• RC Flying Club, 2:30 p.m. Stop by the baseball field to see this radio control airplane flying demonstration.
• Erica Brown Band. 3 p.m., main stage. Erica Brown and The Bluegrass Connection performs all over New England. Erica is also a member of The Stowaways, Darlin’ Corey and The Record Family Band.
• Maine Traditional Karate demonstration, 3:30 p.m., under the big tent. A sponsored program of Hermon Recreation offering fall and spring classes.
• Paige Bacon, Brooke Nason and Daniel Perkins, 5 p.m., main stage. Hermon High School students singing and playing contemporary music.
• The Peacheaters Band: an Allman Brothers experience, 7-9 p.m., main stage entertainment before the fireworks.
• Fireworks display from Central Maine Pyrotechnics at dusk over the recreation fields, Hermon Elementary School.
Sunday, Aug. 10:
• Hermon Bicentennial Car Show, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Hermon High School.