May 21, 2018
Piscataquis Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Vintage Finery

Box fan blamed for Brownville house fire

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BROWNVILLE, Maine — An electrical malfunction that affected a box fan was cited as the cause of a fire Tuesday that gutted a small house, leaving the family that lived there without a home.

The fire at 91 Van Horne Road was reported about 3:30 p.m., Brownville Fire Chief David Preble said. He said a woman and an 11-year-old child who were at home at the time made it out safely but their pet cat did not.

The family living in the one-story house was renting it from the owner, Preble said.

He said the building was insured but that he did not think the occupants had renters’ insurance. The names of the renters and owner were not available early Tuesday evening.

The Red Cross is assisting the family, Preble said.

Brownville fire crews were assisted by members of the Milo, Sebec and Dover-Foxcroft fire departments.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like