Box fan blamed for Brownville house fire

Posted July 22, 2014, at 7:17 p.m.

BROWNVILLE, Maine — An electrical malfunction that affected a box fan was cited as the cause of a fire Tuesday that gutted a small house, leaving the family that lived there without a home.

The fire at 91 Van Horne Road was reported about 3:30 p.m., Brownville Fire Chief David Preble said. He said a woman and an 11-year-old child who were at home at the time made it out safely but their pet cat did not.

The family living in the one-story house was renting it from the owner, Preble said.

He said the building was insured but that he did not think the occupants had renters’ insurance. The names of the renters and owner were not available early Tuesday evening.

The Red Cross is assisting the family, Preble said.

Brownville fire crews were assisted by members of the Milo, Sebec and Dover-Foxcroft fire departments.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Piscataquis