June 19, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Aroostook County grand jury indicts man on murder charge in girlfriend’s death

Aroostook County Sheriff's Office | BDN
Aroostook County Sheriff's Office | BDN
Jesse Marquis
By Julia Bayly, BDN Staff

FORT KENT, Maine — Jesse Marquis, the 38-year-old St. Francis man accused of killing his longtime girlfriend earlier this summer, has been indicted by the Aroostook County grand jury on a charge of murder in the death of Amy Theriault.

The indictment was handed down Friday in Aroostook County District Court.

Marquis remains at the Aroostook County Jail in Houlton where he has been held since his arrest on June 6.

He is scheduled for a bail hearing on Aug. 27.

Marquis made his first court appearance on June 9 in Presque Isle by a satellite link from the Aroostook County Jail.

Marquis was arrested after an intensive six-day manhunt ended with his capture in St. Francis about a mile from Theriault’s home.

The Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call at 5:45 a.m. Saturday, May 31, about a domestic violence incident at 754 Main St. Witnesses in the home told police they saw Marquis leave the residence and go into the woods behind the house with a rifle.

Theriault’s two daughters were not home at the time of the shooting.

The state medical examiner ruled Theriault’s death a homicide. She died of a gunshot wound to the chest and multiple stab wounds to the chest and neck, according to a spokesman for the medical examiner’s office.

In an affidavit filed at district court on June 9, Maine State Police Officer Adam Stoutamyer described meeting with two witnesses who were with Theriault at the time of her killing that morning.

One witness, described as Theriault’s “best friend,” told Stoutamyer she had known the victim for 15 years, and Theriault and Marquis had dated for two years and recently had begun living together.

Both witnesses told Stoutamyer that Theriault had broken up with Marquis the previous day and had asked them to stay with her the night of May 30.

Both said they were asleep when Marquis entered the residence at 5 a.m. May 31, with one witness saying he “basically woke up to a gun being pointed at him.”

He also reported hearing “a noise that sounded like the breaking of a coffee table” and hearing Theriault yelling.

The affidavit does not go into detail, but indicates that both the man and woman “witnessed parts of the incident.”

Marquis has been assigned defense counsels Steven Smith and Dan Umphries, according to court records.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like