Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz went to bat for himself with an expletive-filled response to insinuations that he might have used performance-enhancing drugs in the past.
Ortiz was angered by MLB Network analysts while commenting about Baltimore Orioles outfielder Nelson Cruz’s 50-game suspension as part of the Biogenesis investigation that Ortiz might have received a “free pass.”
Ortiz’s name was on a list of players who apparently tested positive in 2003 during Major League Baseball survey testing.
“In this country, nobody gets a free pass,” Ortiz said, according to WEEI.com. “He wants to make it sound like I got a free pass because nobody can point fingers at me directly. But the reason why I got that fake (expletive) free pass that he’s saying is because they pointed fingers at me with no proof.
“It’s easier to do it that way than having something that they can say, ‘Yes, you did this, you did that.’ My (expletive), I call straight-up bull. Let me tell you. You don’t get no free pass here, especially a guy like me. I don’t get no free pass. …”
Less than a year removed from the suspension, Cruz leads the major leagues home runs (28) and RBIs (78) this year and was voted to the All-Star Game. Cruz went 5-for-5 on Saturday night in Game 2 of a doubleheader against the Red Sox and starter John Lackey.
After the game, Lackey said of Cruz, “There are some things I’d like to say, but I’m not going to. You guys (the media) forget pretty conveniently about stuff,” Lackey said, according to ESPN.
Orioles manager Buck Showalter responded Sunday by saying, “Everybody needs to make sure that their own backyard is clean.”
Red Sox manager John Farrell defended Ortiz.
“I will say this, the 2003 test I think that’s being referred to … I don’t know how many times David has been tested since then,” Farrell said Tuesday. “Whatever that number is, I’m sure it’s a very high one.
“He’s tested clean every single time. It’s unfortunate that the innuendo continues to follow him. He’s a heckuva player, one hell of a hitter. There’s no reason other than hard work and talent that’s produced that.”
Sox may deal pitcher Peavy to Cards
The St. Louis Cardinals and Boston Red Sox discussed a deal for veteran pitcher Jake Peavy that could be finalized soon, according to ESPN.com.
The Cardinals are in need of help for their starting rotation to stay competitive in the National League Central. Starters Jaime Garcia and Michael Wacha are out because injuries.
The 33-year-old Peavy signed a two-year, $29 million contract with the Red Sox before the 2013 season and has approximately $7 million left on the deal.
The 2014 season has not gone well for the Red Sox or Peavy, who has seven consecutive losses and a 1-7 record with a 4.64 ERA in 18 starts with 42 walks and 84 strikeouts in 110 2/3 innings. His last win came on April 25 in the Red Sox’s 8-1 victory over the Toronto Blue Jays.
Peavy has a 133-105 career record with a 3.57 ERA in 13 seasons with the San Diego Padres, Chicago White Sox and Red Sox. He is 5-8 with a 4.41 ERA since coming to Boston last year.
Things clearly are reaching the point of frustration for the Red Sox.
“I think there’s a shared frustration,” Boston manager John Farrell said Monday night after his team’s 4-0 loss to the White Sox. “We all win together. We all lose together.”
The Red Sox, who didn’t get a runner as far as third base against three pitchers, were shut out for the ninth time this season, the fourth time at home, already one more than they were blanked at Fenway Park all last season.
Clay Buchholz was the victim of the latest lack of support. He made a couple of mistakes and it cost the team. That’s what happens when there’s little margin for error.
“I’m done talking about the offense,” said Buchholz, who allowed two homers and four runs in seven innings. “It’s not like they’re out there not trying or anything. It’s just not working right now. I’m not going to answer any more questions about our offense.”